• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Seismic Applications for Lighting Fixtures

John Buchmann

Hi,

I have searched about seismic applications for lighting fixtures and I found the text below. Can I use this table for conventional ceilings or do these requirements apply only to suspended acoustical ceilings? Should I use four seismic cables for each luminaire (even for circular luminaires weighing 0.8 kg)?

1584299567207-png.2551765

I cannot see the table. You did not indicate the source of the table.

The IRC does not contemplate suspended ceilings thus you should look to the IBC.

While suspended acoustical ceilings are generally more of a problem all suspended ceilings should be braced.

Besides preventing lighting fixtures from falling the concern with suspended light fixtures is that they will sway enough to bang against something else, including other light fixtures, thus causing something to fall. If the swaying light fixture cannot hit up against something else then the need for sway bracing may not be needed. There does not appear to be a hard rule but if each suspended item can sway 45 degrees from the vertical and not hit anything I do not see a problem.