• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Self-Service Storage Facilities

RANDOM

Hi guys,

Is there any specific standard to design Self-Service Storage Facilities in California?

So far I have found the California Self-Service Storage Facility Act but I wish to find something more specific.

There is also the http://www.californiaselfstorage.org/general/recommended_links.asp but I need to find some standard that will allow me to design a basic layout.

If anybody knows, I will appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Not sure your question

Indoor access to storage?

A/C cooled and heated?

Outdoor only access ?

Check the fire code for sprinkler requirements

Fd access?

Not sure your question

Indoor access to storage?

A/C cooled and heated?

Outdoor only access ?

Check the fire code for sprinkler requirements

Fd access?

It is a storage facility made up of Containers. The idea is to use three levels of containers which will be accessible by means of elevators and stairways. The project will include open spaces for gatherings.

I have envisioned it similar to this. (Re start - New Zealand)

5875922_600x400.jpg

Well since calif shakes and bakes you have that to deal with.

Normal Building code requirements will apply.

Not sure if the fire or Building code require sprinklers

Would review it as Building any other storage facility.

You might do an on line search for container use, they seem to go up and down in use.
Contact similar projects for how they handled code issues.

OK, a recycling project. Still an "S" occupancy? if so then follow the "S" guidelines.
If open air it might negate a need for sprinklers, then again maybe not. Seismic overturning would be another issue.

Well since calif shakes and bakes you have that to deal with.

Normal Building code requirements will apply.

Not sure if the fire or Building code require sprinklers

Would review it as Building any other storage facility.

You might do an on line search for container use, they seem to go up and down in use.
Contact similar projects for how they handled code issues.

I researched a bit more and found out that basically containers have only one shear wall on the front. On the back were the doors are you either need to reinforce it or flip the container so they all do not point to the same direction, that could be very unstable in case of seismic activity.

Thanks CDA!

OK, a recycling project. Still an "S" occupancy? if so then follow the "S" guidelines.
If open air it might negate a need for sprinklers, then again maybe not. Seismic overturning would be another issue.

Yeah, definitely S1. Seismic overturning is a fundamental issue. Any walkway or reinforcement bracing is necessary to help sustain the effects of a tremor.