• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Service violation(s)

jar546

Forum Coordinator
What do you see? Kennedy stay out of this one since you brought it to my attention! ;)

IMG_4179.JPG

Re: Service violation(s)

not much on electrical knowledge so I will take a shot. The cans are not bonded together due to the PVC conduit :?: :?

JAC said:
not much on electrical knowledge so I will take a shot. The cans are not bonded together due to the PVC conduit :?: :?
No, that is not an issue. It is something visible inside the open disconnect enclosure.

Can't stay out of it, I think I see another problem. Was the lug in the bottom right of the enclosure that is attached to the enclosure field installed? Is there paint under it? 250.12.

chris kennedy said:
Can't stay out of it, I think I see another problem. Was the lug in the bottom right of the enclosure that is attached to the enclosure field installed? Is there paint under it? 250.12.
Can't honestly say that I know the answer. This was already inspected and approved by someone else. I was there for another reason and popped the cover(with approval) for a photo op for training.

Another great question.

Yep I saw that as well Chris hope that ain't a sheet metal srew in that lug also is that ser from the line side? If not a bushing is required on that TA. Looks like somethin got cut off comin out of the line side TA. :?

raider1 said:
Try 352.46 and 300.4(G).Chris
Yeah I caught the bushing in my previous post. What I thought was cut of is the mounting screw. My monitor ain't too sharp this morning.

Just joined the forum. Been checking it out since Dec, very informitive. I may have some imput on this one, I think. Shouldn't the EGC in the open panel be bonded to the grounded conductor lug, since it is the first system disconnecting means as per NEC 250.30 (A)(1)?

For those of us who like to read and understand what the issues may be

dcspector What is a TA :?:

BigDave What is an EGC :?:

Not sure about TA, but EGC is; Equipment Grounding Conductor. As a matter of fact, I had the same question about CT, as in CT can, in one of the other topics.

Not sure about TA, but EGC is; Equpment Grounding Conductor. As a matter of fact, I had the same question about CT, as in CT can, from another topic.

Conductor bending radius apply to this installation too.

BigDave said:
Shouldn't the EGC in the open panel be bonded to the grounded conductor lug, since it is the first system disconnecting means as per NEC 250.30 (A)(1)?
250.30 is for separately derived systems. I believe the correct reference for this service would be 250.24(B), which is very similar to the section you referenced. Both of those sections require the grounded conductor (neutral) to be connected to the service disconnect enclosure and the equipment grounding conductors. This is to be accomplished by the main bonding jumper. In the photo, I believe I can see the head of the main bonding jumper (a green screw) in the right side of the neutral bar just above the lug containing the grounding electrode conductor. That screw connects the grounded conductors to the metal enclosure, an through the enclosure to the equipment grounding lug (if the paint has been removed under the lug as Chris Kennedy mentioned).

How is the main breaker attached to the can? and how is that meter section being fed? That doesn't look like conduit....... (I know you're only talking about the opened main disconnect panel, I was just wondering..)

EDIT: Oh, it's heat bent PVC (wrinkled) going into the wrong size connector with a putty seal....... :shock: I think I'd be more concerned with the service entrance....what's up with that? Is this a trick question????

I would say 312.2 both enclosures appear to be recessed behind the siding. The grounding lug appears to be intalled in the correct location square D provides those lugs with the enclosure and the tapped hole is in that location. TA stands for threaded adapter for pvc pipe.

Sorry all.....TA (terminal adapter) or as Paul mentioned threaded adapter.

The copper ground wire exiting the disconnect should be protected in conduit.

There should be a factory cover guard plate over the wiring and breaker with a screw to secure the cover guard also!

beach,

My medication wore off!

You can't fix stupid :lol:

BigDave said:
As a matter of fact, I had the same question about CT, as in CT can, in one of the other topics.
Welcome to the BB. CT means current transformer. Here is a picture of CT's installed in a CT can.

Lifeskillsservice.jpg

Pcinspector1 said:
The copper ground wire exiting the disconnect should be protected in conduit.
A #8 or smaller copper grounding electrode conductor must be installed in a raceway or cable armor.

A #6 copper grounding electrode conductor free from physical damage can be run along the surface of the building without metal covering or protection where it is securely fastened to the building structure.

A #4 or larger copper grounding electrode conductor only needs to be protected where subject to physical damage.

See 250.64(B)

Chris

Sooooooooo..........Jeff, what's the violation? I still want to know what's up with the service riser, was it approved? I can't tell if it's PVC or SE cable.....and the putty......?