• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Service violation(s)

Re: Service violation(s)

It was approved by someone else. As I stated in my 3rd post, I was there for another reason and popped the cover for a training photo opportunity.

raider1,

Our electric utility requires the grounding electode conductor protected with conduit and properly straped to the wall, info from their spec. sheet. They spec. the rod size, conduit type, strap type and screws to be used in the strap.

Pcinspector1 said:
raider1,Our electric utility requires the grounding electode conductor protected with conduit and properly straped to the wall, info from their spec. sheet. They spec. the rod size, conduit type, strap type and screws to be used in the strap.
Ok,

What I posted is what is in the NEC.

Chris

Thanks for the photo of the CT can Chris Kennedy. I find this forum to be very educational!! I'm a new electrical inspector and spend an hour or two every morning picking up helpful information from the topic discussions.

Now, I've seen this a million times and taken it an an approved method.

However, given the number of days gone by and I can't think of any other possibility.. I'll take a swipe at it.

ECG not secured to metal box?

TimNY said:
Are you talking about requiring a clamp where the grounding electrode conductor enters the box? I'm not aware of a code section that would require that. The various wiring method sections require clamps or connectors, but a single conductor used as a grounding electrode conductor doesn't fall under any of those sections.

This forum and everyone's pics. [ and violations ] is addictive stuff! I actually cannot wait to go to

this site and read all of the postings, ...multiple times during the day! :eek:

I know, ...I've got it bad! Heck, I'm ' Jones-ing ' right now for another 'code forum fix'. D`OH !! :D

P.S. Please keep the pics. and code sections coming. This is excellent training material!

EPrice said:
TimNY said:
Are you talking about requiring a clamp where the grounding electrode conductor enters the box? I'm not aware of a code section that would require that. The various wiring method sections require clamps or connectors, but a single conductor used as a grounding electrode conductor doesn't fall under any of those sections.

Yes, that's what I was referring too. See the GEC run like that all the time, assumed it was an approved method. But since we apparently haven't found the violation, figured i would throw it out there.

I guess the reason it doesn't apply is because a single conductor isn't a 'cable'?

pwood said:
meter seal?
according to jar, it's inside the disconnect enclosure. I must admit I'm perplexed. I don't inspect electric (apparently that's a good thing, since I can't find the violation!), but everything looks good to me.

Breaker in upside down? I have no idea :?:

second attempt..

NEC 2005 200.6(B)

A grounded conductor 6AWG or larger shall be identified by 1) a continuous white or gray finish, 2) by three continuous white stripes, 3) by a distinctive white or gray marking encircling the conductor at the point of installation..

I see one continuous white stripe.. maybe 2.. maybe not 3?

(yes, this has been bothering me all day :D )

tim,

i'm referring to the lock ring that seals the meter to the meter base and has a seal to prevent theft. it might be there but i don't see it.

But since we apparently haven't found the violation,
Check out 300.4(G) and 352.46. The PVC pipe connecting the meter and the breaker enclosure does not have a bushing installed on the threaded male adapter. ;)

Chris

Is the service entrance wire sheathing under the lugs? Did they use Noaux on the lug connections? I give up!

raider1 said:
But since we apparently haven't found the violation,
Check out 300.4(G) and 352.46. The PVC pipe connecting the meter and the breaker enclosure does not have a bushing installed on the threaded male adapter. ;)

Chris

Yes the violation was cited on the 5th and 6th post down on the first page of this thread. Also, TA is (Terminal Adapter) ;)

Pcinspector1 said:
Is the service entrance wire sheathing under the lugs? Did they use Noaux on the lug connections? I give up!
There is no specific NEC requirement to use an anti-oxidant compound on the aluminum connections.

110.3(B), if the installation instructions require it you must use it but I have not seen any that do.

Chris

Testing 123. There was an issue with old attachments on the board and I wanted to see if old posted pics would still show up. Thanks, it worked.