• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sewer piping under driveway

Woodrow

SAWHORSE
Got a question this morning about piping requirements for sewer under a driveway. Cant seem to locate in code. Any suggestions?

H + H + H + H

Q1): What is your question, or what are your questions ?

Q2): Which Code or Codes are applicable to you ?

H + H + H + H

The plumber was questioning the type of piping required. The existing sewer pipe is crushed, he is there to replace. Looking in the 2021 plumbing code I cant find any specific requirement for piping that passed under a driveway. It is a concrete driveway.

It is somewhat curious that a "plumber" would have that question. I suppose it depends on what type of glue he has.....or maybe he has no glue.

I've seen plenty of sewer pipes that run under a driveway. I've also seen plenty of failed driveways because they didn't compact the soil, or it was poor soil, or they didn't use rebar, or or or. I think this falls under "design choice" and good builders will account for such things.

There are so many possible applications that the code can't cover everything.

As an FYI for private onsite plumbing: You noted the 2021 code, but which, UPC or IPC and in which state? A good practice, since there is no burial depth requirement other than the 12" below grade, is to sleeve the entire portion under the driveway. It removes the specific pressure on the actual drain line. Both from a general perspective can be plastic, ABS or PVC, with the sleeve being at least 1/2" larger than the discharge line. Needless to say, and as noted by others, the compaction under the driveway is critical for several reasons, mostly so it does not sink and cause undue stress on the plumbing system and aesthetically that the driveway does not become an eyesore for the customer who would undoubtedly call you back to fix their stuff!! Best of Fortunes

Please do me a favor and point out a code section for that requirement.

Thanks
So, without the actual code, UPC or IPC, and since it was a California project, I will note from the CPC the protection of sewers in 718.3 notes not less than (1) one foot below the surface of the ground. And honestly, I would surely hope all licensed plumbers should be well aware of this.

So, without the actual code, UPC or IPC, and since it was a California project, I will note from the CPC the protection of sewers in 718.3 notes not less than (1) one foot below the surface of the ground. And honestly, I would surely hope all licensed plumbers should be well aware of this.
That does not apply to ABS, PVC, or SDR pipe as these are all allowed under or within a building.

Fact checked by fatboy: SDR is not listed for use in or under a building..

Last edited:
2022 CA Plumbing Code - 718.3 Protection From Damage
No building sewer or other drainage piping or part thereof, which is constructed of materials other than those approved for use under or within a building, shall be installed under or within 2 feet (610 mm) of a building or structure, or part thereof, nor less than 1 foot (305 mm) below the surface of the ground. The provisions of this subsection include structures such as porches and steps, whether covered or uncovered; breezeways; roofed porte cochere; roofed patios; carports; covered walks; covered driveways; and similar structures or appurtenances.

That does not apply to ABS, PVC, or SDR pipe as these are all allowed under or within a building.
Well, I am not sure what you are reading, but it absolutely applies. The cover requirement has been the same for me and I started in the 1985 code cycle.

From Classic ts post:

other than those approved for use under or within a building

Well, I am not sure what you are reading, but it absolutely applies. The cover requirement has been the same for me and I started in the 1985 code cycle.

So if they used "interior glued" Sch 40 PVC no depth would apply.....

Last edited:
It’s plumbing!!!! Besides fatboy, who gets excited about sewers?
I agree. Sewer stuff is boring, it just sits there all the time, apparently doing nothing, no moving parts, no crazy theories involved... Until it stops working, then it gets exciting real fast.