• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shared Lavatories

manifold

Several bars/restaurants are popping up in town that have separate WC's in enclosed rooms and shared lavatories in the hall between. A client has asked for this in their design. Looking at the 2015 IBC Section 2902.2 Separate Facilities, all plumbing fixtures are required to be separate per sex.

Is there a code justification for the shared lavatories? Local amendments don't provide any exceptions.

Use the 2018 IBC Chapter 29 as an alternative design and method per IBC Section 104.11. You'll need to get the building official's approval, so follow their procedure.

Use the 2018 IBC Chapter 29 as an alternative design and method per IBC Section 104.11. You'll need to get the building official's approval, so follow their procedure.
I see that 2018 IBC added section 2902.1.3 Lavatory Distribution. This does not seem to help though. We'll have 2 WCs total. 2902.2 still requires separate facilities for each sex.

Use Section 2902.1.2, which introduces the "single-user toilet facility." The total number of fixtures is still required to be based on a 50/50 male/female ratio, but everyone will have access to all fixtures.

Use Section 2902.1.2, which introduces the "single-user toilet facility." The total number of fixtures is still required to be based on a 50/50 male/female ratio, but everyone will have access to all fixtures.
Thanks, RLGA. I will see if I can make this section work. I am skeptical though, "single user" implies that there is a single person using a at any given time, regardless of sex. A counter with 2 shared lavatories in the hallway would be used by multiple users at the same time of whichever sex.

The definition of a single-user toilet facility is not defined, so it can be interpreted as a toilet only. Only family or assisted-use toilet facilities has specific requirements as to what fixtures are required within each facility (IBC Section 1109.2.1.2).

If your jurisdiction has approved these previously, you could just ask them what it will take to get it approved for your facility.