• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shelfs above aceessible water closet

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
2009 A117.1 section 604.3 doesn't say how high the toilet clear space shall be. It's seems to me if there are shelfs above the toilet that don't stick out anymore than the tank (if there is a tank) it would be ok, but it doesn't say that in the code. Does the clear space go all the way to the ceiling?

Would the shelfs be protruding objects per secton 307? 307.1 only says in circulation paths. I don't think the space above a toilet is a circulation path.

Section 305 Clear Floor Space does't give a heigth ether.

Not sure if the selfs are ok. To high to be accessible too.

Rick18071 said:
2009 A117.1 section 604.3 doesn't say how high the toilet clear space shall be. It's seems to me if there are shelfs above the toilet that don't stick out anymore than the tank (if there is a tank) it would be ok, but it doesn't say that in the code. Does the clear space go all the way to the ceiling?Would the shelfs be protruding objects per secton 307? 307.1 only says in circulation paths. I don't think the space above a toilet is a circulation path.

Section 305 Clear Floor Space does't give a heigth ether.

Not sure if the selfs are ok. To high to be accessible too.
Should not be a problem unless they are required to be accessible for use. 603.4

They need to be high enough that someone can stand up straddling the toilet bowl, will not hit their head. Thats why there is no height to the clear areas

remember there are different types of disabilities, not just wheelchair users.

Jim B said:
We will generally allow them it they are only located above the tank of the water closet
A direct violation of accessibility codes and standards... Clearances needed for grab bars...

ICE said:
What disability would require that?
Pedestal-squat-toilet.jpg

I don't think it would be unreasonable to apply the protruding objects rules in this case, though I can't point to a page in the Code that requires it...

steveray said:
My girlfriend won't shower anywhere that's not home without sandals on.....Nevermind that!..... :)
Mine wears sandals at home......and she scrubs the bathrooms top to bottom once a week. Growing up with a bunch of brothers had a lot to do with it.

steveray and ICE - My ex won't actually ist on a public toilet. She hovers. I am told that many women do this which is why I think there should be allowances in commercial plumbing codes for womens' urinals, but what do I know?:???:

kilitact said:
Yes I said one and a half inch
Some people use the rear grabbar to stand, or transfer, leaning against the wall, a cabinet could interfere with that.

If you want to continue to have lawsuits; continue to poorly design and enforce the codes and standards.

Why do we continue to have lawsuits. ...?

People continue to find any way to skirt the intent of the accessibility codes and standards

My suggestion is to place the cabinet five feet above the toilet