• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ships Ladder to Attic - Seeking Clarification

VirginiaCodeQuestion

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking around on the forum and reading the residential codes and I was hoping someone could offer some clarification on a few attic and stair questions.

I currently have an unfinished attic with a pull down ladder. The storage is great, but it isn't practical to use so I would like to finish part of it, add a ships ladder, and make it an extension of the master bedroom closet. The finished space would only be around 100sq feet and unfinished storage would be on the other side. We do not have any room for code compliant stairs, but I'm understanding that a ships ladder is an exception if it serves an area under 200sq. Would this apply to an attic space assuming everything else met code requirements (ceiling height, square footage, load requirements, window etc)? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Code:

R311.7.12Ships ladders.

Ships ladders shall not be used as an element of a means of egress. Ships ladders shall be permitted provided that a required means of egress stairway or ramp serves the same space at each adjoining level or where a means of egress is not required. The clear width at and below the handrails shall be not less than 20 inches.

Exception: Ships ladders are allowed to be used as an element of a means of egress for lofts, mezzanines and similar areas of 200 gross square feet (18.6 m2) or less that do not provide exclusive access to a kitchen or bathroom.

Something like this:

1684775356657.png

Legal as long as all of the requirements are met. If the finished area and the storage area are over 200 sq.ft. It does not meet all of the requirements.

R311.7.12 Ships ladders. Ships ladders shall not be usedas an element of a means of egress. Ships ladders shall be permitted provided that a required means of egress stairway or ramp serves the same space at each adjoining level or where a means of egress is not required. The clear width at and below the handrails shall be not less than 20 inches.
Exception: Ships ladders are allowed to be used as an element of a means of egress for lofts, mezzanines and similar areas of 200 gross square feet or less that do not provide exclusive access to a kitchen or bathroom.

R311.7.12.1 Treads of ships ladders. Treads shall have a depth of not less than 5 inches. The tread shall be projected such that the total of the tread depth plus the nosing projection is not less than 81/2inches. The riser height shall be not more than 91/2 inches.

R311.7.12.2 Handrails of ships ladders. Hand rails shall be provided on both sides of ships ladders and shall comply with Sections R311.7.8.2 to R311.7.8.6.Handrail height shall be uniform, not less than 30 inches and not more than 34 inches.

There might be helpful information in this article. Be sure to consult your local building department. This subject is one that is not standardized across US governments.

% > % > %

...and Welcome ** VirginiaCodeQuestion ** to the Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

% < % < %

Exception: Ships ladders are allowed to be used as an element of a means of egress for lofts, mezzanines and similar areas of 200 gross square feet or less that do not provide exclusive access to a kitchen or bathroom.
Is that 200 gross sf of habitable area, more than 5' clear?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll need to take some better measurements in the attic, but yes I believe it would be less than 200 square feet of habitable and non-habitable space.

ICE - thanks for the clarification. I plan to just use it a closet/storeage, but would like to finish the walls and floor. Do all the "finished attic" codes apply if this is what I'll be using it for (Rules of 7, etc)? I'm still in the planning stages of this and will apply for appropriates permits if/when I move forward, but I don't want to make this more involved than it needs to be and I know I definitely do not have room for a full set of stairs.

Attic conversion brings up issues. Disruptions to ventilation, insulation, electrical wiring etc. A ships ladder will prevent closing the opening. Attics usually get hot and some have vermin.

I am really not the guy to ask about these types of project. For starters, the last thing that I would do is get a permit. Oh, don’t forget a smoke and CO alarm. If you get that permit the alarm might be hard wired and interconnected.

Last edited: