• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shoestring Toilet

pwood -

This plus the leaking toilet & kitchen sink, the wonderful woodstove, and some electrical & structural anomilies caused the posting. This is the second substandard house in my jurisdiction that the same tenants have moved into (and out of) in the past year. How about three in one year? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another fine example of a you all listing. Is there a place I can get a set of the "you all" codes?

TO BUILD A GOOD HILLBILLY HOUSE YOU NEED TO BUILD THE STEPS FIRST

normal_DSCN4717.jpg

countryfolk.jpg

gbhammer said:
Give them your number so they can call before they move in.
You are probably right, I need to check it out for them. Of course, if I do that, I won't have the surprise of a new complaint! :p

fireguy said:
Another fine example of a you all listing. Is there a place I can get a set of the "you all" codes?
they are adopted by reference in the building codes for the great state of jefferson and the state of confusion!

Went back to reinspect today. The woodstove has been replaced with a better, non-compliant woodstove. It's a Fire View made by the R. L. Stevenson Co. of Rogue River, OR 1970-80's vintage. In the picture the door is on the right side of the stove which is about 20" from the living room wall. No manufactures instructions so, CMC rules apply for clearances and reductions. The person who installed this fine specimen of a woodstove (and it is in wonderful shape), used 1/4" "Hardibacker The Ultimate Cement Board" on the rear wall for the wall protection attached with sheet metal screws. Not the intended use for this product......! There is no permit for the woodstove. I informed the homeowner that she a) needed a permit for the woodstove installation, b) this type of woodstove is no longer legal to install in CA as it is not EPA rated, c) hearth is inadequate, d) cement board is not an option for protection. View attachment 1243 Woodstove View attachment 1244 Hardibacker Cement BoardI informed the homeowner that she needed to have an electrician check the wiring as I noticed some anomilies with my tester. I also questioned why they sheetrocked over the door from the back bedroom into the bathroom. Their reasoning, too hard to shut two doors to use the WC. So now you have to go through the kitchen, living room, and front bedroom to access the bathroom from the back bedroom. This is a two bedroom house with the bathroom in between. Anyone know if this is a problem?So, the saga continues. This is another stellar rental in my jurisdiction. *sigh*

View attachment 541

View attachment 542

View attachment 541

View attachment 542

/monthly_2012_03/572953c2ccc1d_3-8-12newwoodstove2.jpg.f87aeefcf6df89c68a08829d2931e4c8.jpg

/monthly_2012_03/572953c2cf717_3-8-12newwoodstove3.jpg.6e46bb4ab4838a9d4addb6f4791e19ae.jpg

Alias said:
Went back to reinspect today. The woodstove has been replaced with a better, non-compliant woodstove. It's a Fire View made by the R. L. Stevenson Co. of Rogue River, OR 1970-80's vintage. In the picture the door is on the right side of the stove which is about 20" from the living room wall. No manufactures instructions so, CMC rules apply for clearances and reductions. The person who installed this fine specimen of a woodstove (and it is in wonderful shape), used 1/4" "Hardibacker The Ultimate Cement Board" on the rear wall for the wall protection attached with sheet metal screws. Not the intended use for this product......!

There is no permit for the woodstove. I informed the homeowner that she a) needed a permit for the woodstove installation, b) this type of woodstove is no longer legal to install in CA as it is not EPA rated, c) hearth is inadequate, d) cement board is not an option for protection.
Sue

Make sure they provide Manufactures Lit and instal instructions

mark handler said:
SueMake sure they provide Manufactures Lit and instal instructions
sue,

look for a metal plate on the back of the stove that would give the clearance to combustibles. it is usually hidden from sight and takes a mirror to read:mad:

pwood said:
sue, look for a metal plate on the back of the stove that would give the clearance to combustibles. it is usually hidden from sight and takes a mirror to read:mad:
Sue

Make sure they provide Manufactures Lit and install instructions

YOU SHOULD NOT NEED TO SEARCH FOR IT

It's a moot point right now.

I will not accept the stove installation due to:

1) No permit

2) No information or literature from stove manufacturer.

3) Wall and floor protection is inadequate at best.

pwood said:
sue, look for a metal plate on the back of the stove that would give the clearance to combustibles. it is usually hidden from sight and takes a mirror to read:mad:
pwood -

I found the manufacturer's plate behind the door. Unfortunately, due to the proximity of the side and back walls, I had to lay on an old linoleum floor between the stove and the wall to read it.

I realize that times are tough but, when your first recycled woodstove is red tagged, don't you think you would call the building department before purchasing another used woodstove? Oh, wait a minute, that means you have to actually be responsible.

I don't think I would be so persnickity but it is a rental and we have had several woodstove fires in the past couple years due to tenant idiocy. One rental house was almost lost due to a toddler, a woodstove, and a Christmas tree. :banghd

My job is health and safety, right?

Pcinspector1 said:
Does that guy's shirt on the left say "got beer" on it?pc1
How about the guy on the right, he either has a mermaid on his arm or a tattoo of Ace Frehley.