• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shoestring Toilet

Alias said:
So now you have to go through the kitchen, living room, and front bedroom to access the bathroom from the back bedroom. This is a two bedroom house with the bathroom in between. Anyone know if this is a problem?
IPMC 404.4.3 Water closet accessibility. Every bedroom shall have access to at least one water closet and one lavatory without passing through another bedroom. Every bedroom in a dwelling unit shall have access to at least one water closet and lavatory located in the same story as the bedroom or an adjacent story.

110123bathkludge.jpg

110123bathkludge2.jpg

Okay, I'm officially stumped as to how to handle this :censored.

Owner got the original issues addressed and I removed posting.

A tenant then moved in and complained of mold. She moved out and called me after she moved.

I just got a phone call from the last tenant that the toilet is discharging under the home into the crawlspace. She complained to landlord and plumber was never called. She has moved but will be bringing me photos and a letter. She also tipped me off that it is back in the paper for rent and, as an aside, landlord is refusing to return her $700.00 deposit. I referred her to legal aid for that matter.

So, I am on tenant #3 with new complaints and no invitation to visit while occupied.

This place is obviously in need of a major remodel and owner has no money, skills, etc. to do so. Has anyone had to deal with something like this before? How did you shut the slumlord down?

Sue

I bought a house once that had an old woodstove set on a "hearth" made of the white crushed stone that people use for landscaping, and nothing behind it but paneling. The insurance company wouldn't insure the house until we pulled it out.

Houston, tenemos un muy grande problemo.

Tenant #4 called me last week. I met her at the house and did a walk through. Nothing I could really do but did get entry to the house. Boy, it sure stunk! Same old carpet and linoleum. This tenant has taken out the sheet rock between bedroom and bathroom. I thanked her for letting me in and told her that there wasn't much else I could do at this point.

Tenant called me this afternoon and requested copies of the photos I had taken. When I asked why, she said it was because the landlord/landlady had busted the door locks and dumped her stuff in the backyard. Tenant has possession of the house until the 8th of this month (per tenant). Landlord is claiming there is dog feces all over the house, which I saw no evidence of when I was in the house. I gave the tenant the name of the local legal aid lawyer and told her that this was landlord/tenant but I would talk to the legal aid attorney if needed.

There is a 'for sale' sign back in the front yard. I am stumped as to what else I can do about the problem. Any suggestions? How do I make this stop? I am dealing with owners who are renting a second place and buying this place, plus a language/comprehension barrier. Wife speaks English but understands zilch about home maintenance and husband no habla ingles.

Sue

If you get this far, thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, so now you are going to put the family out of their home? How heartless of you, Sue