• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Should apartments follow the residential energy code?

Michael Brown

SAWHORSE
We work through out the Southeast US and find that different jurisdictions treat apartments as either residential or commercial. I have studied and found what I conclude to be definitive reasons that apartments should be considered residential and follow the residential portion of the energy code. I plan to present this information where we are being asked to comply with the commercial code (diplomaticaly or course) but I wanted to post here to see if anyone has dealt with this issue before. The first part of my arguement is 1103.2 of the IMC which defines residential occupancies and includes apartments in that definition. The second part is C101.4.1 and R101.4.1 of the IECC which states that residential occupancies should follow the residential provisions. I know the AHJ still has the ability to enforce as they see fit. I am curious to see what anyone else is seeing.

It is in the definitions:

RESIDENTIAL BUILDING. For this code, includes
detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses as
well as Group R-2, R-3 and R-4 buildings three stories or less
in height above grade plane.

COMMERCIAL BUILDING. For this code, all buildings
that are not included in the definition of “Residential building.”

It is in the definitions:

RESIDENTIAL BUILDING. For this code, includes
detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses as
well as Group R-2, R-3 and R-4 buildings three stories or less
in height above grade plane.

COMMERCIAL BUILDING. For this code, all buildings
that are not included in the definition of “Residential building.”
Understood but the codes I am looking at are based on occupancy types and not building types. You can have residential spaces in commercial buildings and residential spaces in commercial buildings. The code appears to indicate that residential occupancies should follow the residential side of the code regardless of the building type. That is the basis for my question.

If it is three stories or less, you treat the residential space as residential, the commercial space as commercial. If it hits four stories you treat the entire building as commercial.