• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Should you use?

Paelectrician

Should you use some kind of dielectric grease on your service entrance conductors entering main breaker?

Re: Should you use?

The NEC does not address this issue, Personally, I do for aluminum and not for copper. I've seen some panels specs that say not to use it. I've seen AHJ's that would turn you down without it. (wrong in my opinion)

Actually you will find it as a manufacture's requirements, most require it. Better safe than sorry, no literature, it is required. :!:

Any product specifically approved for electrical connections. Actually it is to prevent oxidation and is conductive.

Lou Marks said:
Actually you will find it as a manufacture's requirements, most require it. Better safe than sorry, no literature, it is required. :!:
Can you show me where most manufactures require the use of an antioxidant compound on the lugs of their panels?

I have not seen any required.

When UL tests lugs they test them first without the use of an antioxidant compound and if it fails they then test it with the compound. If the lug requires the use of an antioxidant compound then the lug will come with the compound already in the lug itself.

Chris

Maybe the correct term should have been "when required by manufacture:.

Are antioxidant compounds required on all aluminum wire connectors?

Posted By Underwriters Laboratories On September 12, 2001 @ 1:49 pm In UL Question Corner | Comments Disabled

Question: Antioxidant compounds

Answer

Some UL Listed aluminum wire connectors are prefilled with the UL Listed antioxidant compounds at the factory. For the non-prefilled connectors, the antioxidant compounds should be used if recommended by the manufacturer.

However, the non-prefilled connectors meet the requirements in UL 486B, the Standard for Wire Connectors for Use with Aluminum Conductors, without the compound.

Wire Connectors for use with aluminum conductors are Listed under the category Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs (ZMVV). Antioxidant compounds are Listed under the category Conductor Termination Compound (DVYW). Compounds under this category have been evaluated and shown not to cause adverse effects on the conductor/conductor combination.

Lou Marks said:
Maybe the correct term should have been "when required by manufacture:.Are antioxidant compounds required on all aluminum wire connectors?

Posted By Underwriters Laboratories On September 12, 2001 @ 1:49 pm In UL Question Corner | Comments Disabled

Question: Antioxidant compounds

Answer

Some UL Listed aluminum wire connectors are prefilled with the UL Listed antioxidant compounds at the factory. For the non-prefilled connectors, the antioxidant compounds should be used if recommended by the manufacturer.

However, the non-prefilled connectors meet the requirements in UL 486B, the Standard for Wire Connectors for Use with Aluminum Conductors, without the compound.

Wire Connectors for use with aluminum conductors are Listed under the category Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs (ZMVV). Antioxidant compounds are Listed under the category Conductor Termination Compound (DVYW). Compounds under this category have been evaluated and shown not to cause adverse effects on the conductor/conductor combination.
Like I said if the lugs are not pre-filled with an antioxidant compound, then none is required by the UL standards.

Chris