• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Brant Blower

Greetings. We’re looking to install a glass shower enclosure in a corner in a guest bath in a California. The existing space we have to work with is ‘very’ tight in all directions (see plan through link -hope it works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h513ypket7o4nph/Shwr Plan 21_07.04.pdf?dl=0). When I Google the minimum allowed size, most of the home improvement websites cite 30” x 30” min. with a min. 900 square inch area curb to curb. The actual California Plumbing Code (section 408.6) indicates that you’re allowed to have ‘one’ dimension be as tight as 30” but the overall required space needs to be a min. of 1,024 square inches. This means that the other dimension needs to be a hair over 34”, or if we’re applying equal dimensions, needs to be 32 x 32 to get to 1,024 sq. in.

Note that we considered going with a longer shower that butts into the back of the coat closet but trying to avoid having to furr out the left wall and replace the bathroom entrance with a narrower door.

Three questions.

1). Assuming the 1,024 sq. in.. is correct and the 900 sq. in. is incorrect?

2). The code says the measurement is to be taken from ‘top of threshold.’ Does that mean top of curb? In other words, can the measurement be taken from glass to wall instead of inside of curb?

3). Wishful thinking, but is there a code exception I’m missing that allows shower curbs (not enclosure wall) in encroach into the 15” min. clearance from the centerline of the toilet?

Thank you so much in advance!

Stretch the shower plan-north as much as needed, put the door on the long wall facing the lav.

The shower compartment is measured from the centerline of the top of the dam. I would allow the dam to encroach into the minimum 15“ clearance for the toilet. 1024 square inches is the correct minimum area with a minimum 30” dimension.

Trying to pack 10 lbs of sugar into a 5 lb sack!
We just built a similar shower in limited space.
Consider the sizes of your future guests and their shoulder width dimensions.
Measure face of wall to face of walls; ours are 30 x 42 with a 45 degree entrance, I'm over 250 lbs but fit fine.
Don't reduce the bathroom door width as you may need WC access in the future. 32" clr. min.
Best practice is 36 x 36 min..

900 sq. in. is the International Plumbing Code minimum. California's plumbing code is based on the Uniform Plumbing Code, which requires 1024 sq. in.