• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sidewall sprinkler heads / obstruction

From 2016 NFPA 13;::

side 1.png

My non engineer opinion you do not have a smooth ceiling

As far as the FDC goes, do you guys see it as an obstruction regardless of how the branch line is ran? Considering the spray pattern it shouldn't be an obstruction, correct? Can somebody go in depth about the 4-inch rule when it comes to sprinkler heads and obstructions? I would like to know other people's views that are more experienced.

Knowledge is power, thank you everyone for your input so far.

As far as the FDC goes, do you guys see it as an obstruction regardless of how the branch line is ran? Considering the spray pattern it shouldn't be an obstruction, correct? Can somebody go in depth about the 4-inch rule when it comes to sprinkler heads and obstructions? I would like to know other people's views that are more experienced.

Knowledge is power, thank you everyone for your input so far.

I think it is

Sprinkler has to be four inches away from a wall, ceiling, or similar

Will check, might only be so you can get a wrench on it.

The book says "dead air space" and "detrimental effect"

In the 2016 edition, if you are asking about 8.7.5.1.4.1

I take that to be an obstruction in front of the sprinkler, like a solid beam hanging from the ceiling.

But, 8.7.5.2.1.1 says apply the eighteen inch rule. Which is like the storage rule below sprinklers.
Does say an exception is three inch pipe or less,,,,, which your set up does not meet.

Last edited: