• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sidewall Sprinkler obstructions

john vardouniotis

This is regards to a hotel room with sidewall sprinkler head in a soffit. Does the smoke alarm and speaker constitute as an obstruction? designer prefers sidewall sprinkler, smoke detector and speaker lined up together, centered in the soffit. Does Table & Figure 8.9.5.1.4 come into play here ?

Welcome

I know you are new and because you are not a sawhorse to not have all posting privileges.

But if can some how diagram it with measurements and form a lnk, and post it. Would help

Not near the book today, will look tommorow

I don't think I would consider them an obstruction. Really depends on how far they stick out from the wall. If it's only a coupe inches, then no. But if it gets more than that, yes they might be obstructions.

Will have to look at the section you referenced.

I would say the speaker shown would not be an obstruction.

Just rough look I do not think the smoke alarm shown would be an obstruction.

What is the average distance from the sprinkler to the wall on the left side of the sprinkler, as you look at the picture??

I thought by your description, they wanted it in front of the sprinkler

What you're trying to determine is not obstructions in front of the sprinkler, but obstructions along the the same wall. For this, refer to NFPA 13 Table 8.7.5.1.4 and Figure 8.7.5.1.4. Based on this Table, obstructions can be as close as 4 inches, provided the center of the sprinkler is no more than 1 inch above the bottom of the obstruction.

Last edited:
It would be helpful to know which edition of which NFPA standard is being interpreted. Also, this could be a NFPA 13R system.