• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

signs of a good inspector when dealing with a contractor

cda

Sawhorse 123
insert contractor where it says child:::

■Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?

■Do you hear better through one ear than the other when you are on the telephone?

■Do you have trouble following the conversation with two or more people talking at the same time?

■Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?

■Do you have to strain to understand conversation?

■Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy background?

■Do you have trouble hearing in restaurants?

■Do you have dizziness, pain, or ringing in your ears?

■Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?

■Do family members or coworkers remark about your missing what has been said?

■Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?

■Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?

■Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?

■Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?

■Your child is inconsistently responding to sound.

■Language and speech development is delayed.

■Speech is unclear.

■Volume is turned up high on electronic equipment (radio, TV, CD player, etc.).

■Your child does not follow directions.

■Your child often says, "Huh?"

■Your child does not respond when called.

if you said yes to any of the above, you have no problem dealing with contractors, if you said no, refer to the following site:::

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/disorders/Self-Test.htm

cda said:
insert contractor where it says child:::■Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?

■Do you hear better through one ear than the other when you are on the telephone?

■Do you have trouble following the conversation with two or more people talking at the same time?

■Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?

■Do you have to strain to understand conversation?

■Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy background?

■Do you have trouble hearing in restaurants?

■Do you have dizziness, pain, or ringing in your ears?

■Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?

■Do family members or coworkers remark about your missing what has been said?

■Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?

■Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?

■Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?

■Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?

■Your child is inconsistently responding to sound.

■Language and speech development is delayed.

■Speech is unclear.

■Volume is turned up high on electronic equipment (radio, TV, CD player, etc.).

■Your child does not follow directions.

■Your child often says, "Huh?"

■Your child does not respond when called.

if you said yes to any of the above, you have no problem dealing with contractors, if you said no, refer to the following site:::

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/disorders/Self-Test.htm
Classic anti-contractor slur which ignores the fundamental reality that if we contractors didn't build it you inspectors couldn't inspect it. Two sides of the same coin, figure it out!

Bill

Dictionary of Construction Terminology

Contractor - A gambler who never gets to shuffle, cut or deal.

Bid Opening - A poker game in which the losing hand wins.

Bid - A wild guess carried out to two decimal places.

Low Bidder - A contractor who is wondering what he left out.

Engineer''s Estimate - The cost of construction in heaven.

Project Manager - The conductor of an orchestra in which every musician is in a different union.

Critical Path Method - A management technique for losing your shirt under perfect control.

OSHA - A protective coating made by half-baking a mixture of fine print, red tape, split hairs and baloney--usually applied at random with a shotgun.

Strike - An effort to increase egg production by strangling the chicken.

Delayed Payment - A tourniquet applied at the pockets.

Completion Date - The point at which liquidated damages begin.

Liquidated Damages - A penalty for failing to achieve the impossible.

Auditor - Person who goes in after the war is lost and bayonets the wounded.

Lawyer - Person who goes in after the auditors to strip the bodies.

A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly

slow group of golfers.

The engineer fumed, “What’s with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!”

The doctor chimed in, “I don’t know, but I’ve never seen such ineptitude!”

The pastor said, “Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let’s have a word with him.”

“Hi George. Say, what’s with that group ahead of us? They’re rather slow, aren’t they?”

The greens keeper replied, “Oh, yes, that’s a group of blind firefighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime.”

The group was silent for a moment.

The pastor said, “That’s so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight.”

The doctor said, “Good idea. And I’m going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there’s anything he can do for them.”

The engineer said, “Why can’t these guys play at night?”

I prefer to think a good inspector has the ability to educate contractors and do-it-yourselfers in a respectful manner so that he is not continually writing up the same old stuff.

The sardonic thing about these videos is there’s no option for closed captioned!

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/witnessed-discrimination-deaf-job-applicants/story?id=12822039

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/witnessed-discrimination-deaf-job-applicants/story?id=12822039

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYZClMeQcOw&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Og1GqFWEXMs

The Lip Reader

Jerry and George are at the U.S. Open where George mentions that he had invited his girlfriend Gwen to a party. Jerry says this is a bad idea, as he cannot socialize with others when he is with his girlfriend. George buys an ice cream sundae at the match and eats it, getting the chocolate all over his face, which is caught by the cameras and broadcast on television. Jerry becomes smitten with the lineswoman, and when he tries to get her attention it appears as if she is ignoring him. Only after she turns around does Jerry realize that she is deaf.

Elaine, who is using the company car service to travel, is tired of all the chatty drivers - so to avoid talking to one she pretends to be deaf. However her plan fails when she "hears" the radio message to the driver to pick up Tom Hanks. To make it up to the driver, who was disgusted with her feigned deafness, she gets him tickets to a rock concert.

Jerry tells Kramer about the deaf lineswoman, Laura (Marlee Matlin). Kramer claims to know sign language because a deaf cousin lived with him for a year. He then gets an idea to become a ball-man (corrected from ball boy) and asks Jerry to find out from Laura how to get the job.

Gwen breaks up with George, saying "it's not you; it's me"; George is offended, as he considers this to be his signature break-up line. Kramer tells George about seeing him on TV with the pudding on his face, which George believes to be the reason for Gwen breaking up with him. Jerry takes George as the third wheel on a date with Laura, and they find out that Laura can eavesdrop on people by lip reading. George then gets the idea to take Laura to a party to read his girlfriend's lips to see what she is saying about him. After the date Jerry asks if he can pick up Laura at six for the party ("How about six?"), which she misinterprets as 'sex' ("How about sex?") and leaves him in a huff.

Kramer goes for the ball boy tryouts and aces it, getting the job. Jerry tells George about the 'six/sex' misunderstanding and that he straightened it out with Laura. Newman enters and asks to 'borrow' Laura to spy on his supervisor, and, not surprisingly, Jerry refuses. Later, in the limo, they find out that the driver has gone slightly deaf from sitting near the speakers at a Metallica concert: the same concert for which Elaine had given him tickets. When he recognizes Elaine, the driver throws everyone out of his cab.

They arrive late to the party and meet Laura who has a brief and nonsensical sign language conversation with Kramer. When Gwen arrives, Laura watches her conversation with Todd and signs to Kramer who voices it out loud. The conversation is surprisingly mundane - about peas, pea soup, carrots and carrot soup (a subtle joke; "silent" extras often mouth the phrase "peas and carrots" to give the illusion of conversation). However, when Todd asks Gwen if she wants to sweep with him after the party, it is misinterpreted as 'sleep' with him. George becomes hysterical. He runs up to them and rants about the disloyalty. When Gwen corrects him, he starts shouting at Laura and Kramer. When Laura and Kramer start arguing and signing furiously, she accidentally hits George in the eye. He topples over a table and crashes the party.

Later, the group are seen at a tennis match where Kramer is the ball man. Kramer rushes at the ball and accidentally knocks down and knocks out Monica Seles. After the match, Laura gets into the limo with the same chatty driver. When he starts talking to her, she explains to him, "I'm deaf." He turns back with a slightly agitated and dubious expression before the credits roll.

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
incognito said:
I prefer to think a good inspector has the ability to educate contractors and do-it-yourselfers in a respectful manner so that he is not continually writing up the same old stuff.
I agree, I just do not like the ones that are on the four year college plan

incognito said:
There's only just so much stuff in the codes. It's all old at this point.

Respectful is good....but then who's perfect?

Respectful is not to be confused with subservient.

The person in the picture called for framing inspection. (go look now)

The shear walls have been covered without the electrical or plumbing work having been done.

The walls are existing exterior walls of a house and garage from the 1960s and anchor bolts/HDs were not installed which shall be 5/8" at 24"oc with an HD at each end.

Special inspection required.

Along with other mistakes, the only ladder is the stepladder in the picture.

As I was leaving the guy asked me "What about the roof"?

I said "What about the roof"?

He said, "Can I cover the roof"?

I said, "I wasn't able to inspect the roof because there isn't a ladder that's tall enough".

With unbridled anger he said, "I have a roofing crew coming tomorrow".

I said' "You shouldn't be involved with construction work".

I have never fully understood what drives people to become angry ***holes. Is the desired outcome that the inspector take back a correction? Are we back on the playground and you want the swing? Did you eat lunch alone all through school?

Not to worry, I will persevere in a dogged pursuit of compliant construction. I will let creativity flourish in the delivery of corrections. You will not learn to like me nor respect me but you will know that you suck.

DSCN3570.jpg

DSCN3574.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
fail it and move on; give them a code sections (respectfully). After they pay enough re-inspection fees, they get the idea.

One developer we work with - the project managers personally pay for the reinspections. We don't see many of the same violations with them.

peach said:
fail it and move on; give them a code sections (respectfully). After they pay enough re-inspection fees, they get the idea.One developer we work with - the project managers personally pay for the reinspections. We don't see many of the same violations with them.
And with that, there is no consequence for being an ***hole. I reserve the right to at least twist their noses.

Thanks ICE.......I have the strange desire to make this my signature......although I would probably friendly it up a bit..... :)

"Not to worry, I will persevere in a dogged pursuit of compliant construction. I will let creativity flourish in the delivery of corrections. You will not learn to like me nor respect me but you will know that you suck."

As long as there are no "requirements" for the contractors to actually get into the

code books and have some level of continuing education, this will always be the

norm.

globe trekker said:
As long as there are no "requirements" for those involved in construction to actually get into thecode books and have some level of continuing education, this will always be the

norm.
Fixed it for you. I am thinking of the last 3 commercial kitchen exhaust systems I saw installed. Penetrations into the sheet metal, non-UL compliant access panels, non-UL compliant sealant, combustable overhang directly over the wall mounted exhaust fan, no air movement calcs done before or after the install, red silicone used as a sealant. I am starting two fire suppression installs soon. I am sure I will see the same problems done at the install and allowed to pass.

Residential Construction Economics 101

1) Middle class family in suburbia is outgrowing their small home and need an addition built. Lots of stress, anxiety, uncertainty along with excitement and anticipation involved in the decision. This is a very complex and sizable investment.

2) Applies for loan and provides pay stubs, tax returns, account statements, contractor’s license, estimate, schedule, plans, and proof of insurance.

3) Bank approves loan and agrees to disburse money as construction proceeds.

4) Municipal inspector in a little white Ford Ranger drives up, spends 3-7 minutes on the project and issues a red tag because there isn’t a ladder available. Then goes to the closest convenience store for a corn dog and a Mountain Dew.

5) Bank refuses to disperse due to failed inspection. Project is delayed.

6) Inspector meets other government employees at the convenience store and posts a funny photo of a tradesman who has worked hard all day and a short ladder leaning against the wall. All other municipal inspectors giggle and comment while devouring corn dogs and slurping Mountain Dews.

7) Homeowners drive up after working hard all day and discover that their inspection failed because the ladder was too short. Contractor cannot adequately explain and rolls up for the day.

8) Inspector goes home and counts the days to his retirement when the jurisdiction will pay monthly and provide medical and dental coverage for the rest of his life. Inspector hopes to spend his golden years fishing and building and selling little wooden clocks from kits.

9) Homeowner loses job due to the global recession, bank forecloses on the house, contractor goes bankrupt and inspector takes another funny photo, issues another redtag and giggles.

Sandman

Great post

Full size Chevy's and we carry our own ladders to use when needed

Customer service is still alive in some small rural jurisditions.

Yes contractors are our customers

Builder Bob said:
Customer service is the ability to inform and educate a person about code violations.....not beating them over the head with code book.
that is why I stopped carrying a metal clip board, city got tired of the lawsuits.

Builder Bob said:
Customer service is the ability to inform and educate a person about code violations.....not beating them over the head with code book.
And the angry ***hole with his short ladder.....where should his education begin.....standing in the corner works for me

ICE said:
And the angry ***hole with his short ladder.....where should his education begin.....standing in the corner works for me
have him show you how easy it is to get on the roof with it and them take the ladder and leave!