• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sill plate anchor depth

Dorthorus

I'm replacing a rotted sill plate. How deep into the foundation do the wedge anchors have to be drilled?

Welcome

would give till Monday or Tuesday for an answer.

Are you in a flood or beach area?

IRC says, 7" embed (don't have my code book handy to quote section/verse). After they are installed, generally an inspector can't tell the length unless a sample is left laying around. Most builder/carpenters in my area like to use the 4-1/4" redheads but I recommend at lease 5-1/4" with no more than 3/4" of thread above the nut after torque applied. That would put the depth of the hole at 3". 1-1/2" or less, could blow out the top of the slab under stress or even just tightening the nut.

Do not believe the IRC provides for the use of post installed anchors. What the IRC says about cast in place anchors is not directly applicable to post installed anchors. Thus you would have to reference the IBC which in turn references ACI 318 which provides a standard to be used in qualifying the anchors. The results of the qualification process should answer your question.

The mechanism by which a wedge anchor transfers forces to the concrete is different than that of a cast in place anchor, thus the length of embedment should be different.

Individuals have a tendency to apply the IRC to situations where the IRC was never intended to apply to.

Expansion anchors vary in the torque value that is required. We require 5/8" anchor bolts. The lowest torque value is a Hilti anchor at 60 ft.lb. Red Head and most others is 90 ft.lb.

So that's not to say that they can't be used with lumber. The anchor must be installed without the wood in place. If the sill is installed, drilled and a washer is placed with an expansion anchor that is then torqued.....the wood fails.
Looking at any depiction of the expansion anchors in any product literature..... the application is for anchoring something made of steel.
If you see an expansion anchor with wood, ask for the torque wrench. What you will find is that the nut was tightened until the sound of wood crushing made them stop.

Last edited:
The size and depth, depend on the loads imposed.
We do not know the required loading on that wall, is it a lateral load resisting (Shear) wall? we do not know the condition of the concrete.

Regardless, you may want to use stainless steel (Types 303/304; Type 316).