• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Similarities Between Annunciator and Control Panel

sunyaer

The following excerpt is from this article "The Difference Between a Fire Alarm Annunciator and a Control Panel" at

Similarities Between Annunciator and Control Panel​

Both the fire alarm annunciator and the control panel play crucial roles in a fire alarm system. They work together to provide comprehensive monitoring, detection, and notification capabilities. Additionally, they are typically connected and share data, enabling seamless communication between the two components.

When an alarm is triggered, whether it’s a smoke detector sensing smoke or a heat detector detecting high temperatures, both the annunciator and the control panel receive the signal. This allows for immediate visual and audible notifications to alert building occupants of the potential danger. The annunciator and control panel also have the ability to display the specific location of the alarm, allowing for quick identification and response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

1. Does the annuciator receive signal through the control panel or directly from smoke or heat detector?

2. Does the control panel display the same information as the annuciator?

Put it in car terms.

Your car's computer is the control panel. It monitors the various sensors. IF something goes wrong, it sends a signal.

In a car, the signal goes to the "check engine" light on the dash. In a building, it's the annunciator.

Put it in car terms.

Your car's computer is the control panel. It monitors the various sensors. IF something goes wrong, it sends a signal.

In a car, the signal goes to the "check engine" light on the dash. In a building, it's the annunciator.
Would you please comment on my second question?

Annunciator panel states what the problem is. The control panel actually controls the fire alarm system. In most systems, there is only one panel, serving both functions.

A good example of where you see them broken up would be a campus with multiple individual buildings. If I want to control all the buildings from a central control panel, I can do that, but I need an annunciator in each building to let fire fighters know what the issue is and where it is when they get to the actual building.

The annunciator should display all the information the fire department needs to know to find the blaze. The main panel might also display some additional information.

Would you please comment on my second question?
The control panel will have all that information as well. (Think having the mechanic "scan" for computer codes).

If I remember, I will snap some photos of a building in a neighbouring city that has a very illustrative setup....

The control panel will have all that information as well. (Think having the mechanic "scan" for computer codes).

If I remember, I will snap some photos of a building in a neighbouring city that has a very illustrative setup....
The control panel doesn't show all that information rather save it on its chip, correct?
It would be great if there are some phots of a real thing.

The control panel doesn't show all that information rather save it on its chip, correct?
It would be great if there are some phots of a real thing.
Might I suggest contacting your local OFM and asking to tag along on a few alarm inspections? That's probably going to be vastly more useful.