• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single-family dwelling versus "boarding house"

Inspector Gadget

Interesting discussion in our office today.
A while back, the Supreme Court determined that planning documents (zoning regulations) cannot define what a "family" is.
We have a potential application for a renovation of a house to create a four-unit, independent living complex for senior women. In my world, it's a four-unit boarding house, but in the planning world, it's a single-family dwelling.

Which made me think. What's the difference between a 10-occupant boarding house and 10 students renting out a single-family house?

My initial reaction would be along the lines of defining things by tenancy: if there are 10 people in a house, but one rental/lease agreement, then it's a single-family house. If there are 10 people in a house, and 10 different rental/lease agreements, it's a boarding house. I think this is defensible, since suites-versus-rooms is defined in Code by tenancy.

Thoughts?

In my experience, boarding houses tend to be very up front in what they are doing. If they are not expressly telling you they are one, they probably aren't.