1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Single Restroom for Small Theater?

Discussion in 'Commercial Plumbing Codes' started by ImprovKevin5, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ImprovKevin5

ImprovKevin5 Registered User

Hello,

I am currently looking for space in Charlotte, North Carolina and have found a potential option for my new theater company. It's located in an office park, zoned I-2. It's 1,185sf, with sprinklers, two exits, plenty of parking, one restroom and a small kitchenette. My question is, are we able to use this space for our classes/practices as well as for small shows with only one rest-room? What is the highest occupancy we could get? The space is very open with the exception of a small 200sf office and the bathroom and kitchenette. What are our options for making this work?! Thanks!

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

So for the theater

How many seats were you anticipating ??

3. ImprovKevin5

Honestly, we are open to whatever we can make work. Ultimately, we'd love to have somewhere in the 50 range for this particular venue.

4. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Assuming it is a B occupancy
    1 per 25 for the first 50 and 1 per 50 for the remainder exceeding 50

So based on your comments, not

5. ImprovKevin5

B occupancy as in zoning b? There’s a chance we will be zoned A if they allow us a beer and wine license. There are common area restrooms in the main hall of the office building that we have access too. And we may price changing the kitchenette into a second bathroom. I’m so sick of not being able to start my business because of codes. There’s no help it seems!

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

I am thinking assembly occupancy

7. cda

cda Sawhorse

Plus you more than likely want to have two restrooms

Or your customers will complain

8. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

What state are you in? Your state may require separate sex restrooms

9. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

If this is true then you might get away with not having a RR at all. Can you post a sketch of the entire building, and your part of it? That'll help with the answers.