• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ImprovKevin5

Hello,

I am currently looking for space in Charlotte, North Carolina and have found a potential option for my new theater company. It's located in an office park, zoned I-2. It's 1,185sf, with sprinklers, two exits, plenty of parking, one restroom and a small kitchenette. My question is, are we able to use this space for our classes/practices as well as for small shows with only one rest-room? What is the highest occupancy we could get? The space is very open with the exception of a small 200sf office and the bathroom and kitchenette. What are our options for making this work?! Thanks!

Assuming it is a B occupancy
1 per 25 for the first 50 and 1 per 50 for the remainder exceeding 50

So based on your comments, not

B occupancy as in zoning b? There’s a chance we will be zoned A if they allow us a beer and wine license. There are common area restrooms in the main hall of the office building that we have access too. And we may price changing the kitchenette into a second bathroom. I’m so sick of not being able to start my business because of codes. There’s no help it seems!

Plus you more than likely want to have two restrooms

Or your customers will complain

B occupancy as in zoning b? There’s a chance we will be zoned A if they allow us a beer and wine license. There are common area restrooms in the main hall of the office building that we have access too. And we may price changing the kitchenette into a second bathroom. I’m so sick of not being able to start my business because of codes. There’s no help it seems!

If this is true then you might get away with not having a RR at all. Can you post a sketch of the entire building, and your part of it? That'll help with the answers.