• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sink (top to bottom) depth for accessibility.

CAR

SAWHORSE
I've been trying to find clear/direct wording on this. But for some reason I'm not coming up with it on my searches. Is the assumption correct that if one provides a side approach on a commercial project, the sink is not limited to the 7"(top mount) 5 1/2" undermount requirements and could install a taller sink? As long the countertop is at 34" AFF and the counter is 24" deep? Or does the sink have the same requirements, to avoid having a deeper reach inside (even with side approach)?

Thank you.

Last edited:
The 1991 ADAAG and UFAS 4.24.4 limited sinks to 6 1/2" depth. I don't see this in the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design.

There is no ADA requirement for commercial project sink bowl depth.

However, forward approach is required by 2010 ADAS 606.2 for both restroom lavatories and for kitchen sinks in kitchens that have a cooktop and/or oven. 2010 ADAS 606.2 requires the forward approach to have knee and toe clearance per ADAS 306, which is 27" AFF at the knees.
2010 ADAS 606.3 requires that the rim of the sink or top of the counter (whichever is higher) not exceed 34" AFF. therefore the maximum bowl depth (including bowl thickness) can be calculated as 34" - 27" = 7 inches. Note that your locally adopted code may be more restrictive than ADAS.

Answering your original question: If it is a kitchen sink AND if the kitchen does not have a cooktop or oven, then 2010 ADAS 606.2 exception #1 allows a parallel ("side") approach to the kitchen sink in lieu of a forward approach. With a parallel approach, knee and toe clearance is not required, and therefore ADAS has no limit on the bowl depth.

If you are doing a forward approach to a kitchen sink, and the sink is equipped with a waste disposal or a very low P-trap, this can often prevent knees and toes from going far enough forward for the hands to reach the faucet controls in their furthest open position, when the faucet is in back of the sink bowls. Using as shallow a sink as possible helps gain more clearance. s

See image below, and picture it with a waste disposal, which exacerbates the problem further:

1692815164394.png

Last edited:
No depth applies that I am aware of....And be careful that the 34" max. is to the rim of the sink, not the countertop....
Thank you. You're right. I was thinking undermount. Which is why I said countertop. I remember we had to lower an existing vanity in a restroom because the original buildout had a drop in sink that was a half inch above 34".