• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sistering attic joists.

David Schreck

I am planning to finish a space in my attic. The existing joists are 2x6 and running about 13' from support to support on either side of center. Because of this, I am planning to attach sister 2x8s to each joist.

The planned room will sit over a load bearing wall, however, part of the existing joist structure has a recessed ceiling from our master bedroom.

My question is, when I attach the sister joists, do they need to span all the way from the center load bearing wall to the outer support walls? I am not sure how to do that with the recessed area. Or can I just go from one outer support wall across the center support wall and end them with no support. I will try to attack picture. Green is proposed room walls, orange below attic is the supporting center wall.
w6fgMfS

Agree with fatboy. And my 2 cents ... not going to work. What is supporting the right ends of the existing joists where they die into the tray ceiling? A header?