• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Size of 3,500' water supply line tying in to 1" tap at 6" water main

Simpleman

Will the 1" line be big enough going to the house to supply it or will it need a bigger line or booster pump at house ?" Thanks

A 1" line is usually big enough for a house. This is a very broad statement because house sizes, fixture counts, and water pressures vary.

Around here, the only time you get bigger than 1" is when you get into big houses in rich neighborhoods.

I do not have the answer, but I would also be concerned about the pressure drop in a 1" line over half a mile..........................what is the pressure in the 6" line?

A 1" line is usually big enough for a house. This is a very broad statement because house sizes, fixture counts, and water pressures vary.

Around here, the only time you get bigger than 1" is when you get into big houses in rich neighborhoods.
The engineer at the water company said he couldn't recommend due to policy. He said the pressure at the 6" main was 50 psi to 65 psi was all he would say. The house will be 70' below the 6" water main and it will be 3,500 ft in length. The house he's going build will have 3 bathrooms, laundry room and kitchen. Will be 3 kids and two adults

Last edited by a moderator:
the elevation drop adds about 35 PSI to the main pressure plus main 50= 85
Friction loss seems to be 3.37 PSI per 100 feet at 10GPM =118 PSI Friction loss

I would consult a company familiar with installing residential water lines

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I looked at to help with the calculations, but the answer to me was not clear other than a lot of friction loss. what GPM flow are you trying to achieve?

I would anticipate some type of tank at the house and a booster pump, but I am just spitballing

( ~ ~ ~ )

Simpleman,

Thank you for coming to this Forum to ask your question(s). :)

The proposed 1" water supply line to the new house will be
large enough for the house..........I recommend that the 1"
supply line be installed and to try it out for awhile [ i.e. -
the 3 kids and 2 adults ]........There will be an increase in
pressure [ by volume ] in the 3,500 ft. length.

If, after a while, it is determined that there is not enough
pressure for simultaneous use of the water demands, then
you can always add a water storage tank and booster
pump later.

Initially, I would not spend the money if it was not
necessary !

( ~ ~ ~ )

Trying out the quote par of the post.

good idea north star, hopefully the water supplier goes along.
If, after a while, it is determined that there is not enough
pressure for simultaneous use of the water demands, then
you can always add a water storage tank and booster
pump later.

Initially, I would not spend the money if it was not
necessary !

I have seen plenty of hydrants required for projects that were too far away from a hydrant. The hydrants were always on a public or private road. This thread is about a house 3,500 feet from the road and if it‘s rural there might not be any hydrants required.

I worked for a pool plastering company that plastered the inside of a water tank that was built on a hilltop for the express purpose of providing water for putting out a house fire. It was a pretty large house and the tank was required by the jurisdiction. As I recall, it was the city of San Jose or Morgan Hill….maybe Santa Cruz.

I ran the mixer/pump rig. I had enough material for five swimming pools and used it all. A switch back road was cut to get up the mountain. After my rig came out, the road collapsed under the weight of a pickup truck. Three guys slid into a canyon. Two walked out and Kenneth had to be rescued…too many ham sandwiches.

Last edited: