• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

slab alternatives

Hyrax4978

looking at designing a low budget storage building. about 10,000 SF.
its a heated storage building that the client will rent out space in.
Are there any alternatives to a concrete slab.
Sounds like there are health hazards to providing asphalt pavement inside???

Was thinking bituminous pavement is about a third of the price of concrete. But my guess is bituminous pavement can't be put inside do to off gassing etc???

Was thinking bituminous pavement is about a third of the price of concrete. But my guess is bituminous pavement can't be put inside do to off gassing etc???
That and asphalt is not impervious nor would it meet the requirements of IBC Section 804.2, which requires the flooring to be a Class I or II material classified in accordance with ASTM E648 or NFPA 253.

So stand alone only building on property

or addition to building on property?

Circling back around to this one.
Looking to try and connect the dots between using bituminous inside a building with the IBC. Looked at interior floor finish 804, looked at combustible materials, etc etc. But can't find any test data, or definitive tangible info on tying bituminous pavement to a portion of the code to allow or disallow its use. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you,

Absolutely not. I am in no way recommending or condoning this. Unfortunately an extremely cost conscious client wanted to do this, his own idea, and put it on me to show him exactly why it's not aloud. Hence the hardship here.

Renting a space that has the smell of asphalt will not be easy. If it gets hot enough the asphalt softens and heavy items will leave a mark. Check with the EPA about air quality.