• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sliding barndoor at the bottom of stairs

There is a window in the attic. I'm not sure about when the door was put in, it's been there since I've moved in two months ago.

To give more information, I'm not sure how recent the door is. The house is over a 100 years old, and the door looks pretty new.

So how many other renters/ rental rooms in the house??

Do you know if your city regulates/annual permit rental homes??

Can you either leave the door open all the time

Or if concerned ask owner to remove it while you are renting?

So how many other renters/ rental rooms in the house??

Do you know if your city regulates/annual permit rental homes??
I live in Portland, there are 3 other people renting in the house, as well as an airbnb in the basement. Portland does have regulations for rentals, such as requiring it to be habitable.

Can you either leave the door open all the time

Or if concerned ask owner to remove it while you are renting?
I could ask for that, but then my room would not have any privacy. Would something like this require the stairs and doorway to be redone?

I live in Portland, there are 3 other people renting in the house, as well as an airbnb in the basement. Portland does have regulations for rentals, such as requiring it to be habitable.

Well if they do annual inspections, or just call and file an anonymous complaint

Sounds like the entire house needs a good look over

Last edited:
I don't know your local codes. In PA legally you can do anything to a house without a permit as long as it's not something structural or changes to the one required means of egress (front door).

Was it like that when you moved in?

Why a problem now?

Probably a not so legal set-up, but if your worried about it why did you move in?

Sounds like maybe getting ready to not pay the "rent" ?

Sorry, Maybe Im a little cynical. :rolleyes:

Was it like that when you moved in?

Why a problem now?

Probably a not so legal set-up, but if your worried about it why did you move in?

Sounds like maybe getting ready to not pay the "rent" ?

Sorry, Maybe Im a little cynical. :rolleyes:

Either walk down the stairs in the dark, door closed, and trip over the last few stairs, because of no landing,

Or someone locks the barn door, while he is upstairs.

Sounds like the entire house needs a code intervention.