• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smaller egress windows in retrofit

Re: Smaller egress windows in retrofit

I never thought I'd be able to learn so much....and feel like I was watching an episode of Jerry Springer at the same time. I love my job! :)

In all seriousness...the passion on both sides of the argument is encouraging.

Re: Smaller egress windows in retrofit

CFC 907.3.1.7 could trigger installation of a fire alarm system (if there isn't one already).

As for the windows, I would interpret that CBC Section 3403.1 need not apply to the size of the opening, as the framing is not a "portion" of the alteration. Similarly, I would interpret CBC 3405.1 to pertain to the qualities of the glass, not the size of the frame.

Regardless of the code, think of the potential consequences if some fat rump got stuck in a smaller retrofitted window; can you say LAWSUIT? For that reason alone I'd never allow a replacement window smaller than the current code, the same for height off the finished floor to sill.