• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke alarms not need for porches.

Then you have to define "floor area" within the IRC which does not exist

R201.3 Terms defined in other codes.
Where terms are not defined in this code such terms shall have the meanings ascribed in other code publications of the International Code Council.

Which is what I did within the IRC. Go to the IBC are you going to use Net or Gross Floor Area definitions? If you use Net then is the porch an Occupiable Space by definition?

As someone on here once posted ICC does not mean Intelligent, Clear or Concise that is our job as Building Officials under R104.1.
We need to be consistent with our decisions (interpretation) and have a code path for how we arrived at that decision and put it in writing within a policy manual so everyone knows how we arrived at that decision.

I have a policy that prohibits wood stoves in a garage, is it specifically in the I-Codes? No but I can use the code to come up with that policy.

If instead of trying to label everything and craft definitions, the code talked about the hazards, it would be more equitable. For instance, many buildings around here labeled garage are wood shops, and never see a fueled vehicle, presumably your concern of wood stoves in garages. Talk about enclosed and open, conditioned or not, and it would be clearer.

Paul Heilstedt was really good at avoiding the label game and the "I'll know it when I see it" traps when in code development meetings.

Attached Garages (as mentioned earlier) need Heat Detectors now, (in N.Y. at least), as per R314.2.1

If an area is being built new and it has a roof and fully enclosed and is heated I would look at that as needing a smoke alarm.

If an area is being built new and it has a roof and fully enclosed and is heated I would look at that as needing a smoke alarm.
So you are saying if you add an unheated garage, unheated addition, add an unheated floor you don't need to have smoke alarms per code. Where does this unheated thing come from and why does it matter?

I'll just caution that "unheated" may need clarification for localities. I know what it means for me as I've always lived in northern states and even near the artic circle in Sweden, but not a great "international" code modifier.

While likely fewer sources of ignition we really need some research to know if the hazard is actually less than "heated" rooms.

So you are saying if you add an unheated garage, unheated addition, add an unheated floor you don't need to have smoke alarms per code. Where does this unheated thing come from and why does it matter?
An attached un-heated or heated garage in NY needs a "Heat Detector"

I did not say if it is un-heated it does NOT need a smoke alarm.

I was trying to make a differentiation between an open porch w/o heat etc..., and an enclosed porch. I probably should not have added the "with heat" part.