• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke/CO detectors

fiddler

Bronze Member
I seem to recall the NEC addressing locations of smoke and co detectors, but can't seem to find it can someone point me in the right direction? I know the IRC address it and I know where taht article is. But I seem to remember the NEC having a different take on it.

Thanks

NFPA 72 does kind of cover single station smoke alarms in residental

My memory is telling me (reliable as that may be) that somewhere I read CO detectors are required in the vicinity of the fuel burning appliance, I thoughy I had read that in the NEC but can not find it.

Here is what NC uses

NC Department of InsuranceOffice of the State Fire Marshal - Engineering Division

1202 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1202 919-661-5880

R313 - Carbon Monoxide Alarms in One-and-Two-Family Dwellings and Townhouses Code: 2009 NC Residential Code Date: April 1, 2011

Section: R313

The North Carolina Building Code Council approved an amendment to the 2009 NC Residential Code that revises Section R313 to require the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in new and existing one-and-two-family dwellings and townhouses. The amendment has an effective date of January 1, 2011 and reads as follows:

R313.1.1 Carbon monoxide alarms. In new construction, dwelling units shall be provided with an approved carbon monoxide alarm installed outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s) as directed by the alarm manufacturer.

R313.1.2 Where required-existing dwellings. In existing dwellings, where interior alterations, repairs, fuel-fired appliance replacements, or additions requiring a permit occurs, or where one or more sleeping rooms are added or created, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in accordance with Section 313.1.1.

R313.1.3 Alarm requirements. The required carbon monoxide alarms shall be audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed. Single station carbon monoxide alarms shall be listed as complying with UL 2034 and shall be installed in accordance with this code and the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Implementation and enforcement of the above code section has generated a number of questions. Included below is a list of the most significant questions and the DOI, Engineering Division’s response:

Smoke alarms and CO detectors are regulated by the building codes. The IRC requires smoke alarms to be installed in each sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms and at least one on each habitable level of a home.

CO detectors are required outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms in dwelling units within which fuel-fired appliances are installed or dwelling units that have attached garages.

Chris

Dennis said:
David Henderson said:
CO detectors every level also.[/QUOTE] I thought only if there is a bedroom on every level.
From the IRC you are correct.

Many areas have modified this requirement. In Utah our amendment requires a CO detector on each habitable level and in a basement only used for storage.

Chris

2009 IRC, Section 315.1 requires "carbon monoxide alarms outside of each each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms in dwelling units within which fuel-fired appliances are installed and in dwelling units that have attached garages."

My state modified through amendment to require a CO on each and every floor, including basement.

I believe CO detectors are required in the 2009 IRC.

The IRC diverts location to NFPA 72.