• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke detectors

cda said:
do you have a source link for those numbers???
No, sorry, these are Canadian statistics the .1% survivability was calculated from Canadian communities and was from a engineering industry magazine discussing the mandatory sprinkler requirements in the US and it's cost benefit for Canada. The 3 Million dollar threshold is the number used by the National Research Council in their development of minimum life safety standards for the National Building Code of Canada (if your safety system costs over 3 million dollars per life saved it will never be mandated). The 38 million dollar number is from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation report PDF here. It bears keeping in mind that in Canada the cost of sprinklers in houses is 3$ per square foot (I think the number thrown around in the US is 1.65$?) Given that Canada is more rural than the US sprinklers are likely to cost more because greater proportion of people are supplied using private wells than the US.

hlfireinspector said:
This wasn't a dwelling it was a daycare.

She left the children unattended.

I'm willing to bet there are laws against leaving children unattended that are under the age of 4 in most developed nations.

The code cannot regulate what stupid people do in a building. It must consider what the occupants will typically do.

I wonder if this woman had been responsible and been there when the fire started if that family would be burying their child right now...

It was a person keeping children in a house

Tx normally does not require much more then smoke alarms and fire extinguisher

Last edited by a moderator: