• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

SMOKER

RJJ

Co-Founder
This is a new one for me! I have a restaurant looking to add a Smoker to the line.

The unit is a Southern Pride Model SPK-500-SL. It does not fit under the type I hood that exists.

When they fire it up for a test the kitchen was full of smoke. Should this be type I or type II.

The unit has a direct grease drain to a bucket yet to be provided.

I believe a hood needs to be designed to accommodate the smoker. I feel it should be type I as well.

Any thoughts would help.

Re: SMOKER

Maybe they need the Optional smoke Extractor installed. I believe that some type of hood/exhaust would be required.agreed with type 1.

The Smoker is cooking meat? Can you say 'grease laden vapors'? I realize much of the grease is dripping into a collection point, but the 'smoke' is bound to have a greasy component. Does the manufacturer provide any 'specifications' regarding indoor installation and hood requirements? Is the unit listed? What does the listing provide for?

507.2.1 Type I hoods. Type I hoods shall be installed where

cooking appliances produce grease or smoke, such as

occurs with griddles, fryers, broilers, ovens, ranges andwok

ranges.

Type I, this is pretty obvious.........once the smoke clears....... :lol: :lol:

Installation instructions---->http://grillstogo.com/downloads/specspk500-06-04.pdf

VSP HOOD SYSTEM: Purchased through Southern Pride

VSP HOODS are U/L Listed to the applicable

Southern Pride oven models and are NSF Certified.

HOOD SYSTEM TO INCLUDE:

1. Ventilation Hood

2. Two speed fan (1380/2000)

3. Curb with vented extension and hinge kit

(Specify roof pitch)

4. Grease capture trough

5. Combustion chamber flue vent

SUPPLIED BY CUSTOMER:

6. Duct from hood to fan

ANY VENTILATION SYSTEM MUST BE INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH LOCAL CODES. CONSULT WITH LOCAL OFFICIALS AND A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN VENTILATION CONTRACTOR PRIOR TO INSTALLATION.

I'd say someone forgot the rest of the order.

When I showed up for another inspection they were in the practice mode! :roll:

I shut the unit down and red tagged it till I got some info. The cook said, they have these all over the west and south! I pointed out he was now north of the Masion Dixion line and a smoke filled room don't fly here! :lol:

They (the manufacturers) call it an oven so it should be treated like similar ovens like commercial / industrial ovens and pizza ovens. Whether it is located in an house or a commercial building. We should be somewhat 'scientific' about it.

I could agree with Cda, Kil and RA that a Type II might work however I'm suspect of the excessive maintenance schedule recommended by Mfg.

If permitted, we would most likely require a (3 gallon) Type K portable extinguisher if not already in the Kitchen.

If they use any wood for flavoring then Type 1, suppressed and separate exhaust as in solid fuel appliance. NFPA 96, 07 clarifies that adding wood for flavoring is consistent with solid fuel cooking.

NFPA 96 is a referenced standard in Michigan Mechanical Code and may not be referenced elsewhere. In Michigan they should be separated from other grease duct systems and be stand alone.

"...smoke filled room don't fly here!..."

Without them wouldn't government grind to a halt?

FM, check with Tennison (Chief Mechanical) if you have any other questions from your AHJ or you can call me anytime. 248-343-8830

RJJ the ones I speak of are both gas and wood and need to be separate from another hood system as stated in the solid fuel section.

well call me stupid..

If the kitchen filled up with smoke, I'd say a hood is in order.

It might be either Type I or II.. depending on what the manufacturer of the unit says (assuming they can write.. OF COURSE, I'm just kidding)...

Can't say I've ever seen a smoker inside a building.. they are usually outside.. because they are call SMOKERS... they produce.. well.. hmmmm.. smoke.. not necessarily grease laden vapors..

OH, let's write a code change.. right now..

Thinking about getting a smoker and would like to hear what other folks experience's and recommendations might be. I'm kind of leaning towards an electric smoker, did the charcoal briquet smoker years ago and although it worked fine, it was a mess & hassle. Looking to make summer sausage and similar stuff in small quantities. Reading reviews on-line is fine, but I trust the real-life experiences of NCH&F Forum members. What say you?
looking for a quick response https://thebestpelletsmokers.com/best-commercial-smokers/