• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Solar

I have dealt with the type of contractor you deal with when I worked for a large city. Keep up the good work. You make a difference and I enjoy your posts.

We let solar contractors obtain a permit to install service upgrades. There must be a dearth of electricians.

This guy got a handful of corrections. It took five inspections. Here he is wrestling with a goose neck.

The fiberglass ladder is always a sign that you are dealing with an electrician.

This one is a doozy. The kid that met me said I was there for a lath inspection around a new service box. I said that I don't recall approving the service so I am surprised that lath has been installed. He showed me a job card upon which I signed for rough electrical. I also wrote "rough on roof".

This is under a patio cover. Most of the back yard is patio cover....I'd guess it's between 6 and 8 hundred square feet. There's six ceiling fans.

The owner was there cleaning the granite counters. He was completely nonplussed when hearing "It can't be there". So much so that I figure he must know somebody.

The kid asked me "How does an electrician who's supposed to know the code do something this wrong". Oh what I wanted to say.....

They called for final inspection.

At the final inspection, I always ask them to remove a module so that I can see the ground lug. This is an Ilsco lug. Except for the nut, it was installed like it was an Amphenol lug.

"At the final inspection, I always ask them to remove a module so that I can see the ground lug. This is an Ilsco lug. Except for the nut, it was installed like it was an Amphenol lug"

Please explain, as I probably would have passed that....

You can see between the lug and the module frame because there is a star washer sandwiched between the lug and module. What should occur is the anodized shall be removed and no/ox applied with no star washer in the way. Beyond that is the nut which should be threaded on the screw....but isn't.

Amphenol lugs require the star washer as it is in the picture without removing the anodize or application of no/ox.....plus the nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is installed on a rack rail. When I told him that besides all of the other reasons that this is wrong, there is no way to put a nut on the screw. He said that they drilled and tapped the aluminum extrusion. I'm not kidding, he said that they tapped it and used a grounding screw.....they come in a bag of a thousand...he said.

The only nut here was the guy that did this. I was tempted to step on the wire and say opps!

It's the little things that tell a story.

Should I have to tell them to remove the anodize under the entire footprint of the lug? Would it make a difference? Hells Bells I don't know. What I do know is that the lug wasn't tested and listed like this.

I shouldn't have to tell them to tell them to remove the anodize under the entire footprint of the lug....every time. But if I don't I get blamed for their mistake. That's because this is the second or third inspection and previously they were told to install lay-in lugs that are listed for solar. I explained that the anodize must be removed and antioxidant applied. I reiterated the need for a torque wrench. I showed them which hole to use. I made sure that they understood where to place any star washers.

But alas and alack I didn't tell them to remove all of the anodize under the footprint of the lug. So you know what, it is my fault after all.

They don't mind telling me so either. They call the office manager and pitch a bitch. It takes some kind of nerve to complain that I failed to tell them how to do their job.

I suppose I should be telling them what tool to use.

The wrong lug for the third time today. It was a couple of kids doing the work. They carry their tools in their pockets. A C-crimp tool won't fit in a pants pocket.

I said to them, "That crimp is wrong" One of the kids said, "Naw it's pretty tight". Then I pulled the wire out of the crimp.

The next solar job had this style crimp.

At the last one of the day, they also pointed out that the thing is tight. That's not the point said I.

The kids at the first job are also roofers. They did this roof without a permit.

The third job had this. None of the conduit is anchored. They asked me what I wanted them to do. No shlt....they asked me that exact question "What do you want us to do"?

I went to Pep Boys and bought a pail, Carnuba and a chamois.

They were kinda proud about this. The idea for the Unistrut came from an Edison drawing. Shirley those studs are staying put. ST6236 should do it after they get done washing my ride.

Check out the beefy straps on the right. This is the corner of the building. The straps are bolted to a patio cover beam. But not much else.

Wonder if those ridge shingles are installed where the prevailing wind can't lift them?

Better get the shingle stick out!

Pc1

Did you know that the copper wire can't touch the aluminum?

Or how about this?

There aren't any installation instructions.

If there were, I don't think it would show this.

The contractor that did this is a general contractor who specializes in roofing. This roof is so shot it's scary to walk on. By the time they get done there should be plenty of bare spots.

Successful wire management. They have turned lugs upside down to secure the copper wire away from the aluminum frame. The lugs have no grounding function.

The lug that is mounted to the side of the rail is the grounding lug.

ICE, I'll take a nibble,

"Why can't the copper wire touch the aluminum?" dissimilar metals?

Could't they use sheathed cable instead of the bare copper?

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
ICE, I'll take a nibble, "Why can't the copper wire touch the aluminum?" dissimilar metals?

Could't they use sheathed cable instead of the bare copper?

pc1
The copper will eat the aluminum. It's not such a big problem with the rack but it is with the module frame. I suppose that armored wire would be an option but the cost is a factor.

They sure take chances.

I have warned them repeatedly.

I have called the supervisor.

This is Elon's outfit.

If a kid gets hurt......

I'll be all over that.

This is the cause of the extra expense. And yes it has no permits.

The black rail has been raised 6" in order to clear the condensate drain pipe. There will be a 6" spacer placed at each of the pucks that support the panels.

Here you can see the normal height of the black rail as it is installed without the 6' spacer.

This solar company is one of the best out there for clean installations. That is primarily due to the rack system that they install.... and only they because the solar company owns the rack system company.

The condensate drain pipe could have been rerouted with one 45° bend. It would have still drained to the side yard and not been noticeable. For that matter, if the 2"x4"s were removed the panels might have missed the pipe. However, the installers didn't know what the pipe was for and they are trained to not touch much of what they find on a roof. The reality is that even though they will needlesly waste materials and labor on this installation, in the long run it's cheaper than letting them make field decisions to screw with stuff.

In the third picture which shows the rail without the 6" spacers there is a conduit that will be in contact with the panels because they didn't install the 6" spacers. I pointed that out and they said that they will install the spacers. I didn't suggest that they reroute the conduit for the obvious reason that they are not qualified to perform electrical work.

Neither the conduit or the condensate drain pipe are fixed in place. The conduit is sliding downhill and there is a 10° bend at the fitting.

As an aside, I noticed the service drop has a problem. I have not seen an armored cable used as a service drop before today. The Chinese finger trap has broken.

Is the conduit for the HVAC a bit too small for the roof jack....or is the roof jack a bit too large for the conduit? Oh well there's plenty wrong with the HVAC but I can't go there since this is solar that got me on the roof in the first place. The roof hasn't sagged and apparently the breakers are holding.

Our policy is to not go looking for trouble.

How ironic is that? I have a poor reputation as a rigid enforcer. That stems from the volume of corrections that I write. The truth of the matter is that I overlook damned near as many violations as I write.

Alrighty then, I admit that I should probably delve into the HVAC installation and write corrections. Maybe even make them get a permit...or three. But gosh I would get called on the carpet for stirring up a mess. I was standing on that carpet a couple times last week as it was.

I will call Edison about the service drop and I did cite them for no barrier around the swimming pool. I am surprised that I don't get in trouble for that.

The thing with the pool happens several times each week and some inspectors never run into it....ever. How lucky is that? I would be pleased as punch to never run into another pool barrier violation. That always stirs up a storm. Nobody likes hearing that their fence and gate must be corrected. "And why now?" "It's been like that for years." "Nobody said anything when the roof was replaced....the furnace was replaced....you name it." "What's your name?" "Who's your supervisor?" "You stay off my property." I had a nasty female tell me that I am a bitter person that's out to pick on successful people like her. Bitter, she said bitter.

Hold on lady, simmer down and understand that I will not make you do anything about the violation. The policy is to notify you of the violation and place a copy of the notice of violation in the file for your address. That way if a neighbor's toddler drowns in your pool we are out of reach because we informed you of the violation.

I go through all that BS and do nothing about the violation. The AHJ doesn't care if a kid drowns as long as the AHJ can't be sued. I am not aware of this policy being put to the test but I think it will fail to exonerate the AHJ. If it came before me as a judge I would make them remove the word Authority from AHJ....and punish to the greatest extent possible.

The rope tied service drop passes right over the pool.

By the proximity of the pool to the P/L I'm guessing that medium voltage lines pass over the pool as well. Could it be that there is no permit for the pool? Did Edison allow the pool in their easement?

Wow, I could be in a ton of trouble with this one.

About 15yrs ago I had a project in Riverside County; the electric service had to be relocated to allow the pool. SC Edison was the instigator for calling out the issue.