• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

SolarAPP+ permitting program/software

Beniah Naylor

SAWHORSE
Does anyone have any experience using this system for permitting solar installations? From what I understand, this system replace plan review for residential solar installations in most cases. Does it work? Are there inherent problems?

I passed on it, we have it down to a simple procedure, admins handle the submittals, and make sure we have all the right info and documentation. They either have it or they don't. Electronic submittals and permit issuance.

California passed legislation that instructs jurisdictions to eliminate formal plan check of solar. I encountered a SolarAPP project some weeks ago. No plans. Just a checklist. The contractor wasn't there and I had no clue that the city was on board with the APP, which I have not seen before, so I turned it down.

I got a phone call from the city asking me what happened.....I said, "How about you tell me." It is getting to the point where the AHJ's role will be record keeping and nothing more. Suits me ..... I have scant respect for the solar industry.