• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

solor panel installation requirements?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
What information do you ask for on a solar panel project (photovoltaic system)?

Do plans have to be stamped by an arch. or engineer? etc.

Re: solor panel installation requirements?

Will the roof handle the load??

Heard in think it was calif. that the fire dept wants a portion of the roof clear so they can get on it

The plan meets clearance for venting the roof and the fire dept. would have plenty of room to get around them in that regard. I got the plans but nothing was submitted showing roof attachment. Do plans need to be stamped? This is my first go-around with solar panels! Commercial application to roof.

Mule,

Have you got any information on solar panel requirements? If so I could use some help.

Yeah, got some, somewhere on the old computer. I'll dig through my files and see!

Mule,

Thanks for the information, it will be our first set-up.

PC1

Try this link for some inspector guidelines. It was co-written by Brooks who wrote much of the NEC 690.

http://www.nabcep.org/wp-content/upload ... de0306.pdf

Other than structural engineering when necessary, the size and function of the system will determine whether electrical engineering is needed. Most systems are designed for a specific task and not large enough to throw you.

Added info: The power company requires a little paper work before they install a solar panel system in our area. Called an "interconnection application for renewable source net metering systems". Also check your zoning codes for screening roof top items. Here they have to test the system once a year and notify the power company if the building changes hands for a new contract.