• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Something's wrong with your nuts.

ICE

Oh Well
IMG_1178.jpg

ROFLMAO, now back to the issue, besides the short bolts it looks like the braced wall sheathing which may be shear wall has studs that are over nailed. If the nailing shown is what should be then where is the 3x bottom plate? Even the stud with the hold down on it has what appears to be nailing that requires 3X material. Must be someone that thinks more nails are better are they also using to much pressure in the guns and blowing through the sheathing?

Dawgbark said:
ROFLMAO, now back to the issue, besides the short bolts it looks like the braced wall sheathing which may be shear wall has studs that are over nailed. If the nailing shown is what should be then where is the 3x bottom plate? Even the stud with the hold down on it has what appears to be nailing that requires 3X material. Must be someone that thinks more nails are better are they also using to much pressure in the guns and blowing through the sheathing?
It has been a while since that job and I don't remember all of the details. At the first inspection, both sides of the wall had been covered. The nailing was 1" on center and I hadn't seen the HDs or anchor bolts. Note that the anchor bolt washers were too small also. For two reasons, the plate and studs at panel edges should have been 3"x. Any dual sided shear wall requires 3"x plate and the pounds per lineal ft. on the shear wall required it at the studs due to the tight nail pattern. In this case the pattern was 2 1/2" edge and 12" field. They nailed the field just like the edges. Look at the strips of plywood on both sides. This is a two story house and they nailed the hell out of everything. Exterior wall top plate splices required an arm load of 16d in 4'. They gave an arm and a leg's worth in 2'. They spent as much time and money fixing as they did building.

IMG_1158.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
It has been a while since that job and I don't remember all of the details. At the first inspection, both sides of the wall had been covered. The nailing was 1" on center and I hadn't seen the HDs or anchor bolts. Note that the anchor bolt washers were too small also. For two reasons, the plate and studs at panel edges should have been 3"x. Any dual sided shear wall requires 3"x plate and the pounds per lineal ft. on the shear wall required it at the studs due to the tight nail pattern. In this case the pattern was 2 1/2" edge and 12" field. They nailed the field just like the edges. Look at the strips of plywood on both sides. This is a two story house and they nailed the hell out of everything. Exterior wall top plate splices required an arm load of 16d in 4'. They gave an arm and a leg's worth in 2'. They spent as much time and money fixing as they did building.
IMG_1158.jpg
Thanks for the other photo Ice, it is a mistery why some think that the Inspector does not want to see the hardware before it is covered. Btw, I have had owners of building that build rental units want all the walls covered with ply minimum 1/4 inch under the drywall to stop the renters from busting in the drywall when they get mad. Thanks again fr te other photo.

RJJ said:
Dawgbark: Over pressure is often a problem with the guns. Also look close to the nails and staples used for wire lath. Problems all the time.
RJJ

I have them nail another stud next to the over nail if it is a brace or shear wall. The over pressure is cured after replacing material once or twice. I use to nail shear walls on schools ion So. Ca. during the early 70's and the State Inspectors did not allow over pressure, shinners, or breaking the plys. and neither did my boss' because back then there was some honest pride in the work one put out.

There is some today still but I see it hardly ever.

I have to agree Dawgbark! Not much pride in the work place. When it exists it is most often with the young guys still striving to be good at their trade. Then time and money corrupts them and pride seems to fade.

RJJ said:
I have to agree Dawgbark! Not much pride in the work place. When it exists it is most often with the young guys still striving to be good at their trade. Then time and money corrupts them and pride seems to fade.
Very true words there, RJJ.

I always used a flush nail attachment on my guns when nailing shear panel.....I think they were only ten bucks back then