• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler heads to close together?

JPohling

Sawhorse

I have a question that i have not been able to find an answer for. Small rooms/closets have been demoed from within a tenant area. The fire sprinklers previously serving these small rooms have been left in place. Now there are instances where in these open office areas there are fire sprinklers that now have another head 4' or so away. A fire protection company mentioned that these heads are to close and may interfere with each other and they should be eliminated or relocated to a proper spacing.

I have not been able to find a code section that specifies a minimum distance between heads to eliminate this possible situation. Is there a code reference for this?

You need to look at the sprinkler head installed and the manufacturers specification for spacing. To close can be a problem when one goes off it could not allow the next on to release which is most often due to not permitting the heat to activate the head.

Normally it is six feet minimum between heads

Like others said it does depend on the head

So need to find make and model and that will tell you if it is standard, extended coverage or other

May be as simple as plugging one head, as long as the rest of the area has proper coverage

Too close together, the action of the water from one sprinkler may affect the operation of another.

8.6 Standard Pendent and Upright Spray Sprinklers

8.6.3.4 Minimum Distances Between Sprinklers.

8.6.3.4.1 Unless the requirements of 8.6.3.4.2, 8.6.3.4.3, or 8.6.3.4.4 are met, sprinklers shall be spaced not less than 6 ft (1.8 m) on center.

8.8 Extended Coverage Upright and Pendent Spray Sprinklers

8.8.3.4 Minimum Distance Between Sprinklers.

8.8.3.4.1 Unless the requirements of 8.8.3.4.2 are met, sprinklers shall be spaced not less than 8 ft (2.4 m) on center.

If not one of those two types check the book

and once again may just be able to plug one, as long as proper coverage is maintained

The result of heads too close together is referred to as cold soldering. If you research this it should explain how the discharge from one head can other heads. I believe the spacing for most heads is 8' unless manufacturer's instructions allow a closer positioning.

When I find this situation, I measure the head spacing in the rest of the room. If I need to change the spacing, I may use socket fittings from Anvil. Working in tight spaces, such as above the ceiling, They are easier to work with than threaded fittings. But they are not to be used on dry systems.