• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler system required to be monitored? In 1968??

firemanx

Bronze Member
I have an existing restaurant that I did an inspection on that's throwing me off a bit and wanted to hear your experiences.

The location was built in 1968, I'm not aware of any additions or alterations to the systems throughout the years, although it has changed owners it has always been the same occupancy. It is a sprinkled building, perhaps 5,000 sq feet. It has an outside water gong, but no electronic monitoring devices, no alarm system is installed. System is perhaps 50 heads.

I think our area was following the UFC/UBC around that time, however I have no code books for that time.

Generally, is local "water gong" notification the only required notification/monitoring for these older systems?

As always, thanks in advance. And I did use the search function with no avail.

That was way before my time and maybe some monitoring equipment

Anyway more than likely yes water gong only

Was going to look at my 88 UFC but had to run will check it later

You can alway recommend and educate them that if the system goes off it is better to know sooner than later

Section 3803 of the 1982 UBC required Central Station or constantly attended monitoring where there are more than 100 sprinklers. I will look to see if I have an older UBC.

firemanx said:
I have an existing restaurant that I did an inspection on that's throwing me off a bit and wanted to hear your experiences.The location was built in 1968, I'm not aware of any additions or alterations to the systems throughout the years, although it has changed owners it has always been the same occupancy. It is a sprinkled building, perhaps 5,000 sq feet. It has an outside water gong, but no electronic monitoring devices, no alarm system is installed. System is perhaps 50 heads.

I think our area was following the UFC/UBC around that time, however I have no code books for that time.

Generally, is local "water gong" notification the only required notification/monitoring for these older systems?

As always, thanks in advance. And I did use the search function with no avail.
I believe that the Automatic Sprinkler System is compliant, as the only monitoring that was in this time was the old "hardwired" Game-well " System..... Pull boxes on the street corner with a bell at the station ringing the box number......after a "box" alarm, the firefighters would have to reset and rewind the game-well box. electronic monitoring did not really come into play until several years later.