• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stacked lumber

It would have the same strength as two 2x6s side-by-side, as long as the vertical 2 bys were on each side to prevent rotation of the lower 2x6.

Soooooo, ..you have a 2" x 6" stacked on top of another 2" x 6" that

should have been a 2" x 12". An HVAC appliance will also be installed

on top of the site built joist. I assume the span for these joists are

compliant according to your 2009 IRC.

QUESTION #1: Is the 2" x 12" dimension is to be used for thermal

insulation compiance ONLY, or is it a requirement for the support

of the appliance / span / other?

A large per centage of the time on this Forum, we tend to scream

for "things to be engineered/designed" once it falls outside the

prescriptive code requirements, which is certainly a viable option

according to Section R104.9 in the 2009 IRC. Section R104.11

also permits alternative methods to be used by

"the powers-that-be".

QUESTION #2: This is your "new" house, would you accept this

framing to own for the next 30 yrs.?

What say ya'll? :D

Globe trekker, I don't really even care for the 2x2's with osb in between and I prefer trusses made with 8x10's but if it pencil's out it is a viable option. In between chugging a gallon of goLytely today I had lots of time in the reading room and was thumbing through back issues of JLC. The Feb '12 issue Q&A section had a pic of what Durant is describing with just gussets at the quarter points. It was a redirect of something that started in the 10/11 issue Q&A section... which I can't lay my hands on. Anybody got a copy handy?

Better go spruce up, they say I'll be on TV in the morning :)

Thanks ya'll,

I have learned a lot from your posts. Was doing the framing inspection and the builder showed up. I showed him joists and said #@^&% and that he would have the framer replace the made-up joists with the real thing. He didn't like it either.

I'm going to get a photo bucket account so I can put up pictures in the future.

Again thanks