• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair {PIC}

ICE

Oh Well
I would put this in a topic for commercial construction, if there was one.

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1372-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Made me look :)

I'm coming up with 900 lbs, what's required?

DRP said:
Made me look :) I'm coming up with 900 lbs, what's required?
Sorry:D

900 lbs. would be eight of me. {you've seen my picture} It might be fine as it is but it sure looks hokey to me.

RJJ, there are 2 nails through the hanger into the rim, assuming 2 nails per side and 3 hangers = 12 nails @ 75 lbs per=900 lbs

BUT, look at the nail location, footnote in the NDS;

"Heavy or medium concentrated loads shall not be suspended below the neutral axis of a single sawn lumber or structural glulam timber beam except where mechanical or equivalent reinforcement is provided to resist tension stresses perpendicular to grain"

I was also wondering how many of you we are counting on being on the stair.

(prescriptive)Stair connections are pretty lacking in the code...and in my part of the real word.....but they are getting better, and no, I would not approve that....without a stamp...and then begrudingly!

Same project as alora points out, why is'nt the 2x10 that the stairs are attached too, a I-joist brand rim board, you don't usually mix lumber with an approved I-joist lay-out, hence the 2x blocking betwen I-joist in the other thread pictures, that should have also been rim board spec-ed out by the floor joist system designer.

Is there an approved plan for this to reference?

pc1

ICE,

Besides the poor design of the upper attachment have you put a level on the risers?

It might just be the angle of the picture but the risers look positive sloped and I don't have my book open or link open, but from my memory under 1009,??? profiles I believe risers are to be vertical or sloped back max 30 deg, I could be wrong, but just comes to mind when I read this.

It might just read vertical and thus define vertical.

However, the nail attachment below the bottom 2/3 in conventional lumber I was under the impression counted as zero. don't have a section, but just the rule.

OMG WTF and OOPS gennelmin even when a RDP such as ME accuratly details the stair opening to include the stringer extension to include the first constructed tread at the upper floor level (A sure fire can't miss stringer support connect) This is what da capentaz give me; then I introduce to mr hammer; Mr SLEDGE HAMMER.

and this is entirely due to the introduction of framers vs. craftspersons.

Pcinspector1 said:
Same project as alora points out, why is'nt the 2x10 that the stairs are attached too, a I-joist brand rim board, you don't usually mix lumber with an approved I-joist lay-out, hence the 2x blocking betwen I-joist in the other thread pictures, that should have also been rim board spec-ed out by the floor joist system designer.Is there an approved plan for this to reference?

pc1
It is a 4"x

I-joist rim board is not used as a header. At least I've never seen it used as a header.