• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair pressurization acceptance testing

tim walocha

I don't know why I haven't asked this sooner but what is the standard of care or generally accepted practice for the acceptance testing of stair pressurization testing. section 909.20.5 has specific performance requirements. in my mind, this sounds almost like a blower door test. I bet this hardy ever occurs in the field based on my experience.

In building hospitals the mechanical engineer specifies the design pressure per room, positive pressures in operating rooms, sleeping rooms, recovery rooms, negative pressures in hallways etc. A special inspector verifies compliance.
Reports. A complete report of testing
shall be prepared by the special inspector or special
inspection agency. The report shall include identification
of all devices by manufacturer, nameplate data, design
values, measured values and identification tag or mark.
The report shall be reviewed by the responsible registered
design professional and, when satisfied that the
design intent has been achieved, the responsible registered
design professional shall seal, sign and date the
report.

Report filing. A copy of the final
report shall be filed with the fire code official and an
identical copy shall be maintained in an approved
location at the building.

A field inspector's job is becoming more collecting reports, as I receive reports I give copied to the inspector as we go, in the end I give them a three ring binder containing a;; special inspection reports, all structural observations, all ES Reports, and other relevant documentation, this has become one of the main functions of a job superintendent, field inspectors really appreciate this, I've had them ask me: "What do I do with this?" I tell them to put it in their file and we are both protected. Got to be part of the Tiger Code, should also apply to all solar panel installations.

Reactions: JBI
Stair pressurization should maintain a pressure differential between the stair case and the hallway at a range specified in the plans, if not specified as per code requirement should have a minimum of 0.05inwc.

The stair pressurization usually have either a relief vent motorized damper that is interlocked with a pressure sensor in the stair case, to open after reaching the max pressure specified OR without relief vent, but the Stair Pressurization fans will have VFDs that control the fan speed to also maintain the minimum pressure required and so as not to exceed the maximum pressure specified.

Stair fans should also run automatically after triggering any smoke detector. Balancing is also needed in order to get symmetrical values of pressure difference on all locations.

Welcome!!!

Stair pressurization should maintain a pressure differential between the stair case and the hallway at a range specified in the plans, if not specified as per code requirement should have a minimum of 0.05inwc.

The stair pressurization usually have either a relief vent motorized damper that is interlocked with a pressure sensor in the stair case, to open after reaching the max pressure specified OR without relief vent, but the Stair Pressurization fans will have VFDs that control the fan speed to also maintain the minimum pressure required and so as not to exceed the maximum pressure specified.

Stair fans should also run automatically after triggering any smoke detector. Balancing is also needed in order to get symmetrical values of pressure difference on all locations.