• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairs are an egress path and need a permit to replace

How often do they ask for a fix? It depends on the problem at hand. I try to avoid providing a fix. I give them one and they screw that up....then I hear, “We did exactly what you told us to do.” What about cases where there’s several acceptable fixes.....do I have to provide them all? If I don’t I hear, “Why didn’t you tell us about the other fixes?”

Exactly. Guidance is in the form of suggestive ideas that are not specific, otherwise we are designing. Sometimes just reviewing the code violation puts them in the right direction.

I am not anti-education, I am very much pro-education but sometimes the workload barely gives us time to do the inspection.

If I have the time to devote to educating the people that are getting paid to perform work that they are ill prepared for.....I'll explain the why behind a code and why what they did will not pass. What I won't do is answer the question, "What do you want me to do?" If you think about that question you can't help but see how wrong it is. When I hear it my first thought is how my truck needs a wash. Ya that's the ticket.

When I am pressed for time.....well what does anyone expect? If I wrote more than few corrections the work wasn't ready for inspection. If the person that met me is a runner that sits for inspections with no real knowledge of what just happened chances are pretty good that I'm not going to burn time talking with them.....no matter how much time I have.

Don't forget the homeowners. All of these adult men that can't figure out installing a smoke alarm. I'll hand them multiple pages of corrections and they want me to explain what the contractor did wrong. I tell them to ask the contractor.

We are currently a week behind on inspections. I like it when I am under the gun. The day races past and I skip lunch. I'll have 50 correction days.

Last edited:
If I have the time to devote to educating the people that are getting paid to perform work that they are ill prepared for.....I'll explain the why behind a code and why what they did will not pass. What I won't do is answer the question, "What do you want me to do?" If you think about that question you can't help but see how wrong it is. When I hear it my first thought is how my truck needs a wash. Ya that's the ticket.

When I am pressed for time.....well what does anyone expect? If I wrote more than few corrections the work wasn't ready for inspection. If the person that met me is a runner that sits for inspections with no real knowledge of what just happened chances are pretty good that I'm not going to burn time talking with them.....no matter how much time I have.

Don't forget the homeowners. All of these adult men that can't figure out installing a smoke alarm. I'll hand them multiple pages of corrections and they want me to explain what the contractor did wrong. I tell them to ask the contractor.

We are currently a week behind on inspections. I like it when I am under the gun. The day races past and I skip lunch. I'll have 50 correction days.

Love your shades, do you have a badge too?