• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairwell width for existing building.

One of the most expensive part of house is the kitchen. Code does not required any cabinets or counters at all. The code doesn't require marble counters, tiled floors, garbage disposals, dishwashers, or even an oven. The house I was raised in just had shelves in the kitchen and no counter and we were middle class. Sometimes the kitchen can be 1/3 of the cost of a house. But when was the last time you saw a new house with a bare bones kitchen?

Don't blame the minimum work required to comply with codes for the cost of a house. I don't think the energy codes is even 10% of the cost of construction. You would want insulation and efficient HVAC even without codes so you can't count everything in the energy codes to be added expenses because of the code.

Codes are intended to be a minimum, exceeding code can have significant benefits: reduction in cost of operation, convenience, comfort , enhanced security, resale value, durability, etc.

One of the most expensive part of house is the kitchen. Code does not required any cabinets or counters at all. The code doesn't require marble counters, tiled floors, garbage disposals, dishwashers, or even an oven. The house I was raised in just had shelves in the kitchen and no counter and we were middle class. Sometimes the kitchen can be 1/3 of the cost of a house. But when was the last time you saw a new house with a bare bones kitchen?

Don't blame the minimum work required to comply with codes for the cost of a house. I don't think the energy codes is even 10% of the cost of construction. You would want insulation and efficient HVAC even without codes so you can't count everything in the energy codes to be added expenses because of the code.
i totally agree!!

"Cheap" just remember that you may be "buying" trouble by going minimum and attempting to cut corners.
"Bargains" often lead to "unforseens".