• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Standby power

Sifu

SAWHORSE
This is way out of my wheelhouse and I am seeking to expand my knowledge. I have an elevator in an open parking gargae that is the accessible MOE. It does not require an area of refuge, but does require adherence to:

1009.4.1 Standby power. The elevator shall meet the
emergency operation and signaling device requirements of
Section 2.27 of ASME A17.1
/CSA B44. Standby power
shall be provided in accordance with Chapter 27 and Section

So the question is does this section ONLY require meeting the "emergency operation and signaling device requirements" of ASME 17.1 2.27? Or, the entire section of 2.27? Can these requirements even be broken out? I have an older version of the standard (2004) so what I am reading may not be the same today, but it is more of a general scoping question.

I would say that it only needs to adhere to the requirements related to systems mentioned.

The code can do whatever it wants when referencing another standard. I have also seen them adopt the standard with exception of a particular section.