• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Standpipes are required where?

Good morning.

The details on sprinkler systems and standpipes are all very new to me. Especially when trying to figure out the required fire flow (gpm).

I am conducting a code review for a 7,400 S.F. restaurant with an occupant load of approximately 240.

This restaurant will be fully sprinkled.

NFPA 1 Section 13.2.2.4 requires standpipes for "new assembly occupancies, regular stages over 1,000 S.F. in area..."

Question:

Please confirm that a one story restaurant without a stage does NOT require a standpipe system.

Thank you!

See IBC 905.3 for when standpipes are required. If you have a stage over 1,000 SF, then the required hose connection can be made from the sprinkler system(905.3.4). I doubt your stage, if any is that large. No standpipe required for your one-story assembly use.