• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

staples and shingles

ICE

Oh Well
Staples were taken out of the code for a reason. If you know anything about that, I would like to hear it.

Thanks

Manufacturers Specs? I don't have it open in front of me, and the game is close to starting, but does code flat out disallow?

Manufacturers Specs? I don't have it open in front of me, and the game is close to starting, but does code flat out disallow?
The code doesn't say "NO STAPLES"

The code used to mention staples and now they are gone and it's nails only.

I work with an inspector that thinks it is too onerous to write that correction. The obvious implication is that the roof must be striped and redone. The retort that "It's code" falls flat without a reason why. I can think of several reasons that fail to impress.

The code doesn't say "NO STAPLES"

The code used to mention staples and now they are gone and it's nails only.

I work with an inspector that thinks it is too onerous to write that correction. The obvious implication is that the roof must be striped and redone. The retort that "It's code" falls flat without a reason why. I can think of several reasons that fail to impress. So I am looking for the actual reason and perhaps nobody know's. Or it could be some innocuous, really....that's all you got...who would'a thought ...no **** answer.

There is a very strong Nail Lobby!!

Staples were taken out of the code for a reason. If you know anything about that, I would like to hear it.
Thanks
In CA, due to the fact that they are useless during an earthquake
CBC 2301.1.4 Prohibition
Wood structural panel shear walls and diaphragms using staples as fasteners.
But they are still in the Roof covering sections (shingles).

Went back to the 2000 IBC, does not list staples in Table 1507.2 under fasteners
Went back to the 1997 UBC, there it is: Staples allowed Table 15-B-1 3. Approved corrosion-resistant staples

There you go!
Probably a Martha Stewart "That's a good thing!"

I looked on several shingle manufacturer websites, and they all listed only nails for fasteners.

I think that staples were taken out of the SBCC after hurricane Andrew when wind loads were strengthened, and the IBC allows only nails.