• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

State trooper association

What a revealing tally of statistics. These 'charities' seem to be taking lessons from the bankers and politicians. I'd rather give my money directly to someone. Wilson Daddy-O comes to mind. And, I give to my local police and fire guys, not to the 'solicitors.' who always manage to call at dinner time! Thank you for the link. What an eye opener.

Carol

My mom and dad always found people around them to help; and were always quick to help those in need. I've tried to follow their lead and keep an eye and ear out for those who need help; whatever it might be. I sleep well at night. The worst are the religious groups; especially the ones that take from people on fixed incomes; and the ones that show poor, dirty faced kids; and use the money to live in mansions. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob: sounds like we had similar training and exposure to 'what to do' when bad things happen to our friends and neighbors. :You are one of the good guys!

Randy E. Carpenter Memorial Foundation Fallen Firefighter This foundation sponsors education for firefighters, paid and volunteer, in Oregon and Idaho. The people who run the foundation are family and friends of 3 Firefighters who lost their lives in a fire. For my donation I get a large sign at one of the holes during the Golf Tournament. That and the hope that a firefighter attending training sponsored by the Org will go home after a fire call.

After last year, our company stopped giving to soliciting charities such as the Sheriff's Association, Chief of Police and other similar charities. We find that it is better if we see a particular need in the community and donate to that. It is getting easier to say no and this report makes it even easier. I will personally never give to any union based charity either. Find local charities that you see in action that has volunteers and evaluate large charities based on reports like this.

Their paid soliciters lie like hell--

We have some periodically in our area saying they are collecting for the fire department--when they are not authorized by any of the local departments nor association and none of us can recall any contributions to the fire departments or members from them.

It is also very hard to pin them down with solid contact information. All they want is a credit card authorization over the phone.

Donate directly to your local volunteer fire department, rescue squad, church (be careful on some of those) or other local volunteer organization that you see in action.

Conflict of interest note--I have been a volunteer firefighter for 40 years and have personally benefited from these donations in the form of food at rehab, tools, equipment, protective clothing etc.