• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Station Night Club Fire

TheCommish

Today February 20, 2013 is the 10th anniversary of the Station Night Club Fire, West Warwick Road Island, 60 or so miles from my home.

While the event was tragic and effected many people in the area, the convergence of seemingly small issues issue leading up to the disaster were not new; crowed conditions, flammable decorations, exiting problems, lack of fire sprinkler protections, inspection issues, and the belief it would not happen here or to me.

The history of this type of disaster is not new, see previous post on the Roads Opera House fire and the Iroquois Theater fire, and now repeated again in the Cromañón nightclub fire in Buenos Aires, Brazil.

Just before the Statin Night Club fire in a nearby community to me, the fire inspector doing a follow up on repeated false alarm in a converted mill found foam sound proofing on the walls. The fire inspector and building official noted the problem and ordered the material removed, as expected the building owner and tenant howled in protest even after a sample was unsiftecly tested by burning in the parking lot, a flaming mass ensued. The building official and fire inspector stood their ground and the material was removed. Shortly after the Station Night Club fire the building owner was in the office of the building official thanking him and the fire inspector.

If we are doing our jobs and enforcing the code as they have developed from past tragedies, the next tragedy can be prevented. And not doubt we have prevent some from happening, the nonevent does not usually make the news.

See this article from Fire Engineering

The Station Nightclub Fire: Revisiting the Lessons - Fire Engineering

and more from Firefighter close calls.com The Station Fire-10 Years Later (The Secret List)