• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Steel Beams at exterior wall

Question That

iecc 2009 SC.
Prescriptive path.
Have a situation (again) where ideally a steel beam is directly above a light guage metal stud wall.
I can incorporate the continuous insulation requirement no problem and bypass the beam flanges.
the R19 requirement is where I'm having trouble getting my head wrapped around.
technically I can't get R19 at the beam (unless maybe I spray foam between the flanges at the exterior side) unless I bypass the stud wall past the beam at the exterior (which I don't want to do.
Wondering how the iecc views this detail. I'm thinking they "want" the wall to bypass the beam but wondering what my options are.
Note that curtain wall will bypass some of these beams at different levels of the building so not quite sure how that factors into the equation.

Thanks.

At the interior side up to the slab and bottom of the beam but not at exterior side... the way I currently have designed anyway. Boxing at the exterior is what I'm trying to avoid.

No "hard" info other than "cavity" has built in penetrations/ thermal bridging....What size those are allowed to be is silent I believe.....

OK. I think I'm going to roll with that if my understanding is correct.....
What you're suggesting is, nothing in the code says that there is x amount of steel (a steel beam as header.... say tube steel worst case scenario because can't be insulated at all..... unless you drill it and fill it lol) that can be above a metal stud wall that is insulated even though the beam above can't be. But because I'm using continous insulation whoever is looking at the detail is probably going to throw their hands up in the air and say "works for me". Hopefully because they understand that it really doesn't make too much sense to run a stud wall past the beam everywhere and have to box in beams and create bulkheads at the interior spaces everywhere there is a beam.
Something like that?