• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Step from garage into House??

For me it's trying to get heel and toe on tread, and having to turn my feet outward so far I'm off balance.

And then there are those idiots that think to the space under the nosing is useful.

As a fun little anecdote, I went into my vintage library, as there indeed is history of a step being required. Enjoy!

SBCCI (Southern Standard Building Code)
--1965, Section 506): "[a door] may be permitted provided the sill is raised at least 8 inches above the garage floor when the doorway connects directly with any room in which there is any direct-fired heating device or gas fixture."
--1994, Section 411.2.8: "Connection of an automobile parking garage with any room in which there is afuel-fired appliance shall be by means of a door way with a raised sill at least 8 inches above the garage floor or through a vestibule providing two door separation."

So the southern code was concerned with ignition of gasses. This is reflected in the current I-codes where fuel-burning appliances must have their ignition source at least 18" above the floor.

BOCA (National Building Code)
--1978, Section 413.1.1: "The sills of all door openings between the garage and dwelling shall be raised not less than four inches above the garage floor."
--1999, Section 407.5 "The sills of all door openings between private garages and adjacent interior spaces shall be raised not less than 4 inches above the garage floor"

There isn't really anything to glean from these BOCA provisions as to "why" they wanted the step in the BOCA code.

ICBO (Uniform Building Code)
--1927, Section 1505: "[attached garages shall] be equipped with fixed louvered or screened opening or exhaust ventilation with exhaust opening located within six inches of the floor."
--I don't have time right now to investigate my entire UBC collection for the evolution of this provision because I have every edition. It will take some time.

CABO (One and Two Family Dwelling Code)
--1986 was when this new provision was introduced, section 210.3 "That area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids toward the main vehicle entry doorway."

--So it seems back in the 20's the UBC concern was gas and they required venting to the exterior.
--Then in the 60's and 70's (maybe earlier but my SBCCI and BOCA collection doesn't go back further than 1965) they addressed the concern of gas with the step to the house, but referenced the need for a fuel-burning appliance to create the hazard of igniting the gasses.
--In modern codes there are two issues. Leaking fluid gasoline and other liquid contaminants that could drain to the house door and explosive gasses that can be ignited. This is now covered with the sloping floor requirement and the raised ignition source requirement.

Check out my youtube channel for short code history videos. I think I'll do one on this subject. This was pretty fun. Thanks for the motivation to research. I love these old books.
And I thought I was the only historic code junkie!

Old thread brought back to discussion.

First off the statistics for stair injuries that the CPSC publish and track that I have seen never list what the configuration of the stair geometry is. So claiming the issue is all about certain specifics is an educated assumption, just as everyone assumes that children climb over guards because of horizontal infill, but when you actually look at the locations more closely, you will see that it happens mostly when the children can't see through the wall or guard and are curious as to what is on the other side. Another example, see what outside the window...

The reason for 8.25 on 9 is always noted as being floor space, but the reality of it is that CMU landings and stairs prominent in the northeast and other areas of the country are based on 8" standard materials for rise and 10" tread material with 1" overhang for nosing fall into the basics of 8.25 x 9 for rise and run. Thus from what I have seen it is more about the standards that everyone wants, vs space.

As to the 9.5" riser on spiral stairs, look at the tread and riser configuration of spirals and the headroom clearance more closely. You will find that the biggest driving factor in riser height on spirals are the headroom clearance as the stair flight winds down, the allowance is either ban or allow, and were are the statics of the issue, or do we just assume.

Reality has a way of rearing its head sometimes.

First off the statistics for stair injuries that the CPSC publish and track that I have seen never list what the configuration of the stair geometry is. So claiming the issue is all about certain specifics is an educated assumption,
Correct CPSC simply says stairs are the leading cause of injuries measured by societal cost. On the other side, we know from research and study that as the tread depth decreases below 12" or so and as the riser increases above 6 1/2" or so, stumbles leading to falls which lead to injuries increase. Likewise non-uniformity in treads, lack of visibility, and non-graspable handrails, especially ones that don't permit a hook grasp, all lead to increased injuries. So there will always be stair injuries but there could be a lot less with improved standards and better enforcement.

And I thought I was the only historic code junkie!
I have many duplicates that I am waiting to trade with another collector and relive the childhood days of trading baseball cards. Let me know if you are looking to fill holes in your collection.