• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stickers/Signage on Glazing

LGreene

Do any of you know of a code requirement stating that large panes of glazing need to be marked to avoid someone walking into them? I've seen the markings before but I don't know where it is stated in the codes, or if it is.

LGreene said:
Do any of you know of a code requirement stating that large panes of glazing need to be marked to avoid someone walking into them? I've seen the markings before but I don't know where it is stated in the codes, or if it is.
Nothing in chapter 24

It just seems like a good idea to prevent accidents.

Maybe there is some requirement in the ADA for people of limited vision?

mstehlin said:
It just seems like a good idea to prevent accidents. Maybe there is some requirement in the ADA for people of limited vision?
There is no requirement in the ADA identifying windows.

I googled it and found a company that makes decals specifically for this purpose:

CRL O'Briens Style Glass Safety Decal

Easy to Apply Decals Reduce the Risk of Injury Due to Accidental Collision With Storefront Panels and Doors

Decals Have "Floating" Appearance

With today's architecture incorporating more glass than ever, it's important to reduce the risk of people being injured by accidental collision with glass panels and doors. CRL Glass Safety Decals installed near eye level give a "floating" appearance that serves to warn pedestrians of the presence of a large glass panels and sliding doors. All Glass Safety Decals are a white color, and use a special dualsided adhesive transfer material which when peeled off leaves only the decal, with no unsightly residue to spoil the 'all-glass' appearance. Minimum order for Cat. No. 2149 Silver Rectangles is one roll. Minimum order for all others is five each. Our Cat. No. 105 Plastic Scraper will give you firm, even pressure as you apply Safety Decals to clean glass

In Canada, large panes of glazing in an access to exit that could be mistaken for the means of egress, are required to have barriers or railings installed so as to distinguish them from the means of egress.

tmurray said:
In Canada, large panes of glazing in an access to exit that could be mistaken for the means of egress, are required to have barriers or railings installed so as to distinguish them from the means of egress.
Do you know where that is written?

I think it's a "New York State of mine thing"

LGreene, Is this it or are you already aware of this requirement?

NY DOL Health & Safety 47.4 Application. .

This Part (rule) applies throughout the State of New York to all transparent glass doors and fixed adjacent transparent glass sidelights in mercantile establishments and in public and commercial buildings and structures. .

pc1

DOL regs are only enforceable by DOL.

But I believe that large pieces of glass are required to be safety/tempered glass for this very concern (so that you'll bounce off instead of getting shredded...):roll:

There is a resteraunt in Daly City called Joes of Westlake. Great place frequented by mainly seasoned citizens.

Apparently some years back a man somehow went through one of the plate glass windows and was killed. Local folklore says decapitated. Back before tempered glass I guess.

It's all tempered now of course.

Brent

Me also looking forward code requirement in this regard...??? One of my friend currently living in Australia. Suggest me one spot(this is knows as "Signage Melbourne") in this regard. I visited there. Contains not a bad ideas in this regard.

LGreene, visited there. Sure this will also helpful for you.